Noether Symmetries Versus Killing Vectors and Isometries of Spacetimes
- First Online:
- 153 Downloads
Symmetries of spacetime manifolds which are given by Killing vectors are compared with the symmetries of the Lagrangians of the respective spacetimes. We find the point generators of the one parameter Lie groups of transformations that leave invariant the action integral corresponding to the Lagrangian (Noether symmetries). In the examples considered, it is shown that the Noether symmetries obtained by considering the Larangians provide additional symmetries which are not provided by the Killing vectors. It is conjectured that these symmetries would always provide a larger Lie algebra of which the KV symmetres will form a subalgebra.
Key WordsNoether symmetries isometries of spacetimes Lie algebras
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bokhari, A. H., Kashif, A. R., and Qadir, A. (2004). Curvature collineations of some plane symmetric static spacetimes, to appear in Proceedings of the 11th Regional Conference, Teheran, Iran.Google Scholar
- Feroze, Tooba, Mahomed, F. M., and Qadir, Asghar (2005). The Connection Between Isometries and Symmetries of the Underlying Spaces, to appear in Nonlinear Dynamics.Google Scholar
- Meisner, C. W., Thorne, K. S., and Wheeler, J. A. (1973). Gravitation Benjamin, New York.Google Scholar
- Noether, E., Invariante Variationsprobleme (1918). Nachrichten der Akademie der Wissenschaften in Göttingen, Mathematisch-Physikalische Klasse, 2, 235–257 (English translation in Transport Theory and Statistical Physics, 1(3), 186–207 (1971)).Google Scholar
- Olver, P. (1986). Application of Lie Groups to Differential Equations Springer-Verlag, New York.Google Scholar