The Optical Absorption Coefficient of Maize Grains Investigated by Photoacoustic Spectroscopy
- 156 Downloads
In the maize and tortilla industry, it is important to characterize the color of maize (Zea mays L.) grain, as it is one of the attributes that directly affect the quality of the tortillas consumed by the population. For this reason, the availability of alternative techniques for assessing and improving the quality of grain is valued. Photoacoustic spectroscopy has proven to be a useful tool for characterizing maize grain. So, the objective of the present study was to determine the optical absorption coefficient \(\beta \) of the maize grain used to make tortillas from two regions of Mexico: (a) Valles Altos, 2012–2013 production cycle and (b) Guasave, Sinaloa, 2013–2014 production cycle. Traditional reflectance measurements, physical characteristics of the grain and nutrient content were also calculated. The experimental results show different characteristics for maize grains.
KeywordsMaize grains Optical absorption coefficient Photoacoustic spectroscopy
The authors are thankful to the Mexican agencies, CONACYT, FAAPA-UAEM, COLPOS, IPN, COFAA, EDI and SIP, for support of this work. We also acknowledge Mr. Esther Ayala of the Physics Department of CINVESTAV-IPN for her technical support.
- 1.E.B. Coutiño, C. Vázquez, M.B. Torres, M.Y. Salinas, Rev. Fitotec. Mex. 31, 94 (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.J.A. Jiménez-Juárez, G. Arámbula-Villa, E. de la Cruz-Lázaro, M.A. Aparicio-Trapala, Rev. Univ. Cienc. 28, 145 (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.ISTA International Seed Testing Association (2011), http://www.seedtest.org/en/home.html
- 8.O. Leyva, A. Carballo, A. Mejía, M. Gricelda, Rev. Fitotec. Mex. 25, 355 (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.S. Singhal, K. Singh, S. Joshi, A. Rai, Curr. Sci. 82, 172 (2002)Google Scholar
- 17.C. Hernández, A. Domínguez, A. Cruz-Orea, R. Ivanov, C. Carballo, R. Zepeda, L. Galindo, Int. Agrophys. 23, 327 (2009)Google Scholar
- 18.M. Salinas, G. Vázquez, Folleto técnico. Núm. 24. INIFAP. Chapingo, Edo. de México (2006), p. 98Google Scholar
- 22.C.J. Beggs, U. Schneider-Ziebert, E. Wellmann, Stratospheric Ozone Reduction, Solar Ultraviolet Radiation and Plant Life (Springer, Berlin Heidelberg, 1986), pp. 235–250Google Scholar