Realization of the Triple Point of Water in Metallic Sealed Cells at the LNE-INM/CNAM: A Progress Report
- 73 Downloads
A miniature metallic cell for the water triple point (TPW, temperature 273.16 K) was developed for capsule-type thermometer calibrations for realizations with adiabatic calorimetry techniques. The LNE-INM/Cnam previously developed a copper cell for the water triple point and the techniques for cleaning, filling, and sealing. On the basis of previous work, a new copper cell prototype for the TPW was developed and filled at the LNE-INM/Cnam. Measurements were performed using an appropriate calorimeter and a comparison block containing several thermometers. Preliminary results show a scatter of the temperatures measured at the phase transition of the order of 0.2 mK when measurements are repeated over a short-term period (1 month). A positive drift in the phase transition temperature of about 30μK·month−1 was observed over several months. Studies are in progress to improve the cell, to reduce the reproducibility uncertainty to less than 0.1 mK and to have a phase transition with better temporal stability.
KeywordsAdiabatic calorimetry Metallic cell Thermometer calibration Triple point Water
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. Méndez-Lango, in Proceedings of TEMPMEKO 2001, 8th International Symposium on Temperature and Thermal Measurements in Industry and Science, ed. by B. Fellmuth, J. Seidel, G. Scholz (VDE Verlag, Berlin, 2002), pp. 465–470Google Scholar
- 2.Y. Hermier, G. Bonnier, in Proceedings of TEMPMEKO ‘87, 3rd International Symposium on Temperature and Thermal Measurements in Industry and Science, Sheffield, UK (Institute of Measurement and Control, London, 1987), pp. 33–39Google Scholar
- 3.H. Preston-Thomas, Supplementary Information for the International Temperature Scale of 1990, BIPM (1990), pp. 61–62Google Scholar
- 4.Y. Hermier, G. Bonnier, Bulletin du Bureau National de Métrologie, vol. 18, no. 70 (October 1987), ISSN 0982-2232, Editions ChironGoogle Scholar
- 6.Y. Hermier, L. Pitre, C. Geneville, A. Vergé, G. Bonnier, D.I. Head, B. Fellmuth, L. Wober, A. Szmyrka Grzebyk, L. Lipinski, M.J. de Groot, A. Peruzzi, in Temperature, Its Measurement and Control in Science and Industry, vol. 7, ed. by D.C. Ripple (AIP, Melville, New York, 2003), pp. 179–184Google Scholar
- 7.F. Pavese, D. Ferri, I. Peroni, A. Pugliese, P. P. M. Steur, B. Fellmuth, D. Head, L. Lipinski, A. Peruzzi, A. Szmyrka Grzebyk, L. Wolber, Temperature: Its Measurement and Control in Science and Industry, vol. 7, ed. by D.C. Ripple (AIP, Melville, New York, 2003), pp. 173–178Google Scholar