Thermal Conductivity Measurement of Thermally-Oxidized SiO2 Films on a Silicon Wafer Using a Thermo-Reflectance Technique
- 795 Downloads
This paper describes the development of an advanced method to measure the normal-to-plane thermal conductivity of very-thin insulating films. In this method the metal film layer, which is deposited on thin insulating films, is Joule heated periodically and the ac-temperature response at the center of the metal film surface is measured by a thermo-reflectance technique. The one-dimensional thermal conduction equation of the three-layered system was solved analytically, and a quite simple and accurate approximate equation was derived. In this method, calibration factors of the thermo-reflectance coefficient were determined using the known thermal effusivity of the substrate. The present method was examined for thermally-oxidized SiO2 films (1000--20 nm thick) on a silicon wafer. The present results of the thermal conductivity agree with those of VAMAS TWA23 within ±10%.
Keywordsthermal conductivity thin film thermo-reflectance periodic method silicon dioxide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Taketoshi, N., Baba, T., Ono, A. 1999Jpn. J. Appl. Phys.3L1268Google Scholar
- Lee, S. M., Cahill, D. G. 1997J. Appl. Phys.812950Google Scholar
- R. Kato, A. Maesono, and I. Hatta, Proc. 21st Jpn. Symp. Thermophysic. Prop. (2000), pp. 10–12.Google Scholar
- R. Kato and I. Hatta, Proc. 23rd Jpn. Symp. Thermophys. Prop. (2002), pp. 265–267.Google Scholar
- Thermophysical Properties Handbook (Japanese Thermophysical Society, Yokendo, Ltd., 1990).Google Scholar
- A. Feldman, Results of a Round Robin on Thin Film Thermal Conductivity, presented at 14th Symp. Thermophys. Props. (Boulder, Colorado 2000).Google Scholar
- A. Feldman, VAMAS TWA23 (2000).Google Scholar
- Kato, R., Maesono, A., Tye, R. P. 2001Int. J. Thermophys.22617Google Scholar