Influence of Reflections on Frequency Tunability and Mode Competition in the Second-Harmonic THz Gyrotron
- 201 Downloads
Effect of delayed reflection on operation of a second-harmonic terahertz (THz)-band gyrotron is studied. Theoretical analyses, numerical calculations, and experimental observations for the 0.394-THz Fukui University (FU) and continuous wave (CW) IIB gyrotron are presented. The reflections decrease starting current and expand frequency tunability range owing to excitation of high-order axial modes. They also increase frequency stability, i.e., reduce frequency change due to variation of the magnetic field. In addition, the reflections strongly affect mode competition causing suppress of the second-harmonic mode by the fundamental one and vice versa or, in the case of cooperative mode interaction, mutual power increase.
KeywordsGyrotron Second harmonic Mode competition Reflection Frequency tunability
N.M.R. and M.M.M. acknowledge financial support from the Russian Foundation for Basic Research grant no 15-02-01798a.
- 4.A.C. Torrezan, S.-T. Han, I. Mastovsky, M.A. Shapiro, J.R. Sirigiri, R.J. Temkin, A.B. Barnes, and R.G. Griffin, Continuous-wave operation of a frequency-tunable 460-GHz second-harmonic gyrotron for enhanced nuclear magnetic resonance, IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 1150–1159, 2010.Google Scholar
- 7.T. Saito, Y. Tatematsu, Y. Yamaguchi, S. Ikeuchi, S. Ogasawara, N. Yamada, R. Ikeda, I. Ogawa, and T. Idehara, Observation of dynamic interaction between fundamental and second-harmonic modes in a high-power sub-terahertz gyrotron operating in regimes of soft and hard self-excitation, Phys. Rev. Lett., vol. 109, 155001, 2012.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.N. Kharchev, A. Cappa,·D. Malakhov, J. Martinez, E. Konchekov, A. Tolkachev, V. Borzosekov, K. Sarksyan, and M. Petelin, Influence of controlled reflected power on gyrotron performance, J. Infrared Millim. Terahertz Waves, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 145–1156, 2015.Google Scholar
- 17.Yu.I. Evdokimenko, K.A. Lukin, I.D. Revin, B.K. Skrynnik, and V.P. Shestopalov, A new mechanism of excitation of a diffraction-radiation generator (free-electron laser), Sov. Phys. Doklady, vol. 27, pp. 554, 1982.Google Scholar
- 18.G. S. Nusinovich, Introduction to the physics of gyrotrons, Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins Univ. Press, 2004.Google Scholar