THz Gyrotron and BWO Designed for Operation in DNP-NMR Spectrometer Magnet
- 331 Downloads
Dynamic nuclear polarization (DNP) in high-field nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy requires medium-power terahertz radiation, which nowadays can be provided basically by gyrotrons with superconducting magnets. As the electron cyclotron frequency is very close to the frequency of electron paramagnetic resonance for the same magnetic field, under certain conditions the gyrotron can be installed inside the same solenoid used for NMR spectrometer. This eliminates the need for an additional superconducting magnet, results in a shorter terahertz transmission line, and can make DNP systems practical. In addition to an extremely low-voltage gyrotron (“gyrotrino”), we analyze also advantages of strong magnetic field for a slow-wave electron device as an alternative terahertz source.
KeywordsGyrotron Backward-wave oscillator DNP-NMR spectroscopy Superconducting magnet
The reported study was partially supported by RFBR, research projects Nos. 12-02-31722, 13-02-01176.
- 11.V.L. Bratman, M.Yu. Glyavin, V.E. Zapevalov, Yu.K. Kalynov, A.E. Fedotov, II Dynamic Nuclear Polarization Symposium: Theory, Hardware, Applications, Radicals, Koenigstein, Germany, Sept. 2-4, 2009.Google Scholar
- 12.V.L. Bratman, A.E. Fedotov, Yu.K. Kalynov, 8th Int. Workshop “Strong microwaves and terahertz waves: sources and applications” (SMP-2011), Nizhny Novgorod – St. Petersburg, Russia, July 9-16, 2011.Google Scholar
- 13.J.R. Sirigiri, T. Maly, Patent Application No. US 2012/0176133 A1, Jul. 12, 2012.Google Scholar
- 18.G.S. Nusinovich, Introduction to the Physics of Gyrotrons (JHU Press, Balyimore, MD, 2004).Google Scholar
- 20.V.E.Zapevalov, A.N.Kuftin, V.N.Manuilov, M.A.Moiseev, A.B..Pavelyev, A.S.Sedov, N.A.Zavolsky, Proceedings of 8th Int. Workshop “Strong Microwaves and Terahertz Waves: Sources and Applications” (SMP-2011), Nizhny Novgorod – St. Petersburg, Russia, July 9-16, 2011, p. 143.Google Scholar
- 21.M.B. Golant, Z.T. Alekseenko, Z.S. Korotkova, Instruments and Experimental Techniques (Pribory i tekhnika eksperimenta) 12, 231 (1969).Google Scholar
- 22.D. Chernin, A. Burke, I. Chernyavskiy, J. Petillo, R. Dobbs, A. Roitman, P. Horoyski, M. Hyttinen, D. Berry, M. Blank, K. Nguyen, V. Jabotinsky, D. Pershing, E. Wright, J. Calame, B. Levush, J. Neilson, T. Gaier, A. Skalare, N.S. Barker, R. Weikle, J. Booske, 2010 Int. Vacuum Electronics Conf. (IVEC), Monterey, California, May 18-20, 2010, p. 217.Google Scholar