Printed Planar Antenna for Wideband Applications
- 385 Downloads
A compact planar antenna operating at a frequency range of 3–16 GHz is presented for wideband applications. The antenna is composed of a square patch fed by a microstrip line and a partial ground plane with a rectangular slot. The proposed antenna is very easy to be integrated with microwave circuitry for low manufacturing cost. The flat antenna has a compact structure and the total size is 29 mm × 22 mm. The result shows that the measured impedance bandwidth (VSWR≤ 2) of the proposed antenna is 3.2–15.44 GHz, with a notch from 4.7 to 5.8 GHz. The effects of the structure parameters on impedance bandwidth are also investigated. Details of the proposed compact planar antenna design are presented and discussed.
KeywordsMicrostrip line Partial ground plane Planar antenna Ultrawideband (UWB) antenna
This work was supported by the MOSTI Secretariat, Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation of Malaysia, Science Grant no. 01-01-02-SF0608 and the Institute of Space Science (ANGKASA), Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia.
- 1.“Federal Communications Commission Revision of Part 15 of the Commission’s Rules Regarding Ultra-Wideband Transmission System from 3.1 to 10.6 GHz,” in Federal Communications Commission (FCC), Washington, DC: ET-Docket, Pages: 98–153, 2002.Google Scholar
- 2.B. Allen, M. Dohler, W. Q. Malik, A. K. Brown, and D. J. Edwards, Eds., “Ultra-Wideband Antennas and Propagation for Communications, Radar and Imaging,” (Chichester, U.K.: Wiley, 2007).Google Scholar
- 5.M. Klemm, I. J. Craddock, A. Preece, J. Leendertz, and R. Benjamin, “Evaluation of a hemi-spherical wideband antenna array for breast cancer imaging,” Radio Sci. 43(6), (2008).Google Scholar
- 12.S. H. Hsu and K. Chang, “Ultra-thin CPW-fed rectangular slot antenna for UWB applications,” IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium 2006, 2587–2590 (2006).Google Scholar
- 15.T.Yang and W. A. Davis, “Planar half-disk antenna structures for ultrawideband communications,” Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium 2004. IEEE Volume 3, 2508–2511 (2004).Google Scholar
- 20.X. Qing, Z. N. Chen, and M. Y. W. Chia, “UWB characteristics of disc cone antenna,” IEEE International Workshop on Antenna Technology 2005, 97–100 (2005).Google Scholar
- 22.IE3D version 12.3, Zeland Software, Inc., Fremont, CA, USA (2006).Google Scholar