On-chip pulsed terahertz systems and their applications
- 150 Downloads
The generation and detection of guided wave terahertz (THz) transients in microstrip transmission line systems is demonstrated at both room and cryogenic (∼ 4 K) temperatures using thin film low-temperature-grown GaAs (LT-GaAs) switches, excited by a 100 fs, 80 MHz repetition rate pulsed Ti:Sapphire laser. The characterisation of passive filter elements formed in the microstrip line is reported, together with their response to the application of dielectric loads of varying thickness at room temperature.
KeywordsGaAs Transmission Line Output Pulse Microstrip Line Effective Permittivity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.J. Cunningham, C. Wood, A. G. Davies, I. C. Hunter, E. H. Linfield, “Terahertz frequency range bandstop filters,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 86, pp. 21503.1– 21503.3 (2005).Google Scholar
- 6.J. Cunningham, C. Wood, A. G. Davies, I. C., “Band stop filter,” 0427322.3, UK patent (2005).Google Scholar
- 11.Sonnet, Sonnet software Inc., USAGoogle Scholar
- 12.D. M. Pozar, Microwave Engineering, pp. 77, Wiley, Crawfordsville, 2nd edition, (1998).Google Scholar
- 13.E. A. Shaner, S. A. Lyon, “Time-resolved impulse measurements of the magnetoplasmon resonance in a two-dimensional electron gas,” Phys. Rev. B 66(14), 041402(R) (2002).Google Scholar
- 14.E. A. Shaner, S. A. Lyon, “Picosecond time-resolved two-dimensional ballistic electron transport,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 93(3), 037402 (2004).Google Scholar
- 15.Y. C. Shen, P. C. Upadhya, E. H. Linfield, H. E. Beere, A. G. Davies, “Terahertz generation from coherent optical phonons in a biased GaAs photoconductive emitter,” Phys. Rev. B 69(23), 235325 (2004).Google Scholar
- 16.E. Castro-Camus, J. Lloyd-Hughes, M. B. Johnston, “Three-dimensional carrier-dynamics simulation of terahertz emission form photoconductive switches,” Phys. Rev. B 71(19), 195301 (2005).Google Scholar