THE FIRST EXPERIMENT OF A THz GYROTRON WITH A PULSE MAGNET
- 124 Downloads
A THz gyrotron with a pulse magnet has been designed, constructed and operated in FIR FU. It is developed as one of high frequency gyrotrons included in Gyrotron FU Series. The gyrotron has already achieved the first experimental result for high frequency operations whose radiation frequency exceeds 1 THz. In this paper, the design detail and the operation test results for sub-terahertz to terahertz range are described. The second harmonic operation is confirmed experimentally at the expected frequency of 1.005 THz due to TE6,11 cavity mode at the magnetic field intensity of 19.0 T.
Key wordsGyrotron Pulse magnet Terahertz radiation Gyrotron FU Series Second harmonic operation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1).For example, G.Dammertz, et al., Experimental results on the 140 GHz, 1 MW, CW gyrotrons for the stellarator W7-X, Digest of the Joint 30th Int. Conf. on Infrared and Millimeter Waves and 13th Int. Conf. on Terahertz Electronics, Williamsburg, USA, September 19–23 2005, pp. 235–236.Google Scholar
- 2).G.F. Brand, Z. Chen, N.G. Douglas, M. Cross, J.Y.L. Ma and L.C. Robinson, A tunable millimeter-submillimeter gyrotron, Int. J. Electronics 57 (1984) 863–870.Google Scholar
- 8).Y. Terumichi, S. Kubo, A. Ando, Y. Yanagimoto, K. Ogura, H. Tanaka, J. Takahashi, I. Tonai, M. Nakamura, T. Maekawa, S. Tanaka and T. Idehara, Study of low frequency density fluctuations in the WT-2 tokamak by mm and submm wave scattering, Digest of Ninth Int. Conf. on Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Takarazuka, Japan, October 22–29, 1984, pp. 411–412.Google Scholar
- 16).T. Idehara, I. Ogawa and S. Mitsudo, Y. Iwata, S. Atanabe, Y. Itakura, K. Ohashi, H. Kobayashi, T. Yokoyama, V. Zapevalov, M. Glyavin, A. Kuftin, O. Malygin and S. Sabchevski, Development of a high harmonic gyrotron with an axis-encircling electron beam and a permanent magnet, Vacuum 77 (2005) 539–546.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18).I. Ogawa, T. Idehara, T. Okada, S. Maeda, Y. Iwata, R. Pavlichenko, S. Mitsudo, D. Wagner and M. Thumm, High Quality Operation of a Submillimeter Wave Gyrotron for Plasma Diagnostics Application, J. Plasma and Fusion Research Series 5 (2003) 205–209.Google Scholar