- 301 Downloads
Modern Terahertz-subTerahertz (THz-subTHz) spectrometers, based on continuously frequency-tunable coherent sources of radiation, the backward-wave oscillators (BWOs), are described which cover the frequencies v = 1 cm−1 − 50 cm−1 (0.03 − 1.5 THz) and allow for measurements at temperatures 2 − 1000 K, also in magnetic fields. They allow for direct determination of spectra of any optical parameter of a material at millimeter-submillimeter wavelengths, the domain where infrared or microwave spectrometers encounter serious methodological difficulties. We report on new technical abilities of the quasioptical BWO-spectrometers and discuss their main components. We demonstrate abilities of the THz-subTHz BWO-spectroscopy by presenting some latest results on measurements of dielectric, conducting, superconducting and magnetic materials.
Keywords:Terahertz quasioptical spectroscopy backward-wave oscillator
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
-  Kozlov G.V., Volkov A.A. Coherent Source Submillimeter Wave Spectroscopy. Topics in Applied Physics, 74, p.51, ed. G.Gruner, (Springer-Verlag, 1998).Google Scholar
-  M.Born, E.Wolf. Principles of Optics, 6th ed. (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge 1999).Google Scholar
-  D. Van der Marel, A.Tsvetkov. Transverse optical plasmons in ordered and disordered Josephson-coupled superconducting multilayers. Czech. J. Phys. 46, 3165 (1996).Google Scholar
-  A. Balbashov et al. Submillimeter spectroscopy of antiferromagnetic dielectrics: Rare-earth orthoferrites. In “High Frequency Processes in Magnetic Materials”, ed. G.Srinivasan, A.Slavin (World Scientific, Singapore 1995); J.van Slageren et al. Frequency-domain magnetic resonance spectroscopy of molecular magnetic materials. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 5, 3837 (2003).Google Scholar
-  O.Ryabova et al. Unpublished.Google Scholar
-  B.Gorshunov et al. Measurement of electrodynamic parameters of superconducting films in far-infrared and submillimeter frequency ranges. Int. J. IRMMW 14, 683 (1993).Google Scholar
-  A.A. Mukhin, et al., Submillimeter spectroscopy of electronic transitions and macroscopic quantum tunneling of magnetization in molecular nanocluster. Physics ] Uspekhi, 34, 1306 (2002).Google Scholar