Fabricating Microbolometer Array on Unplanar Readout Integrated Circuit
In this paper, the integration of an experimental 32 × 32 uncooled IR microbolometer array with an unplanar CMOS Readout Integrated Circuit (ROIC) is presented. A vanadium oxide film fabricated by low temperature reactive ion beam sputtering is utilized as thermal-sensitive material in the bolometric detectors Before the integration, the unplanar ROIC for commercial use is first planarized by bisbenzocyclobutene film, then a electroless nickel-plating on ohmic contact areas is accomplished. Finally the bolometer array is fabricated using a micromachining process, which is completely compatible with CMOS technology. Measurements and calculations for the as-fabricated samples show that the responsivity of 1.4 × 104 V/W and the detectivity of 2.1 × 108cmHz1/2W−1 and a thermal response time of 10ms are obtained at a pulse bias of IV.
Key words:Microbolometer array readout integrated circuit uncooled infrared detection vanadium oxide thin film
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
-  A. Roqalski. Infrared detectors: Status and trends. Progress in Quantum Electronics, 27 (2–3) (2003) 151–210Google Scholar
-  S. B Horn, R.G. Buser. Uncooled sensor technology. SPIE, 2020 (1993) 304–321Google Scholar
-  A. Rogalski. Infrared detectors: an overview. Infrared Physics and Technology 43(3–5) (2002) 187–210Google Scholar
-  C.H. Wang, X.J. Yi, G. Huang, et al. IR microbolometer with self-supporting structure operating at room temperature. Infrared Physics & Technology 45 (2004) 53–57Google Scholar
-  R. A. Wood. High-performance Infrared Thermal Imaging with monolithic silicon Focal planes operating at Room Temperature. IEEE on IEDM (1993) 175–177Google Scholar
-  Y. Tanaka, A.Tanaka, K. Iida, et al. Performance of 320×240 uncooled bolometer-type infrared focal plane arrays. SPIE, 5074 (2003) 414–424Google Scholar
-  B.E. Cole, R.E. Higashi, R.A. Wood. Monolithic two-dimensional arrays of micromachined microstructures for infrared applications. Proceedings of the IEEE, 86(8) (1998) 1679–1686Google Scholar
-  B.E. Cole, R.E. Hiqashi, R.A. Wood. Monolithic arrays of micromachined pixels for infrared applications. Technical Digest-International Electron Devices Meeting, (1998) 459–462Google Scholar
-  C.H. Chen, X.J. Yi, J. Zhang, et al. Micromachined uncooled IR Bolometer Linear Array Using VO2 Thin Films. International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, 22(1) (2001) 53–58Google Scholar
-  O. Nanki, S.Tokuhito, K. Akihiro, et al, Design and performance of 256 × 256 bolometer-type uncooled infrared detector, SPIE, 3379 (1998) 90–100Google Scholar
-  C.A. Marshall, N.R. Butler, R. Blackwell, et al. Uncooled infrared sensors with digital focal plane array, SPIE, 2746 (1996) 23–31Google Scholar
-  D. Murphy, M. Ray, R. Wyles, et al. High sensitivity 25 μm microbolometer FPAs, SPIE, 4721 (2002) 99–110Google Scholar