Incentives and remuneration systems in dental services
- First Online:
- 259 Downloads
The aim of this study was to examine the effects of an incentive-based remuneration system on number of individuals under supervision and on quality of public dental services in Norway. The basis for the study was a natural experiment in which all public dental officers in one county were given the opportunity to renegotiate their contract from a fixed salary contract to a combined per capita and fixed salary contract. Comprehensive data were collected before and after the change. A main finding is that the transition to an incentive-based remuneration system led to an increase in the number of individuals under supervision without either a fall in quality or a patient selection effect.
KeywordsDentists Contracts Incentives Effectiveness Quality
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Blinkhorn A.S., Hassall D.C., Holloway P.J., Mellor A.C., Worthington H.V. (1996) An assessment of capitation in the new General Dental Service contract. Community Dental Health 13(Supplement 1): 1–47Google Scholar
- Bramson J.B., Noskin D.E., Ruesch J.D. (1998) Differences in practice characteristics of capitation and PPO provider dentists. The Journal of the American Dental Association 129: 218–222Google Scholar
- Bulman J.S., Osborn J.F. (1989) Statistics in dentistry. British Dental Association, London, pp 78–90Google Scholar
- Davies M.H., Schechter B.L. (1987) The dentist and prepaid capitated systems. Dental Clinics of North America 31: 225–237Google Scholar
- Department of Health. (2002). NHS dentistry: Options for change. London: Crown.Google Scholar
- Giuffrida, A., Gosden, T., Forland, F., Kristiansen, I. S., Sergison, M., Leese, B., et al. (2002). Target payments in primary care: Effects on professional practice and health care outcomes (Cochrane Review). In The cochrane library (Issue 4). Oxford: Update Software.Google Scholar
- Gosden, T., Forland, F., Kristiansen, I. S., Sutton, M., Leese, B., Giuffrida, A., et al. (2005). Capitation, salary, fee-for-service and mixed systems of payment: Effects on the behaviour of primary care physicians (Cochrane Review). In The Cochrane Library (Issue 3). http://thecochranelibrary.com.
- Grytten J. (2005) Models for financing dental services. A review. Community Dental Health 22: 75–85Google Scholar
- Grytten J., Holst D., Berge K. (2001) Innsatsbasert avlønning i Den offentlige tannhelsetjenesten i Østfold. The Norwegian Dental Journal 111: 226–231Google Scholar
- Hemenway D., Killen A., Cashman S.B., Parks C.L., Bicknell W.J. (1990) Physicians’ response to financial incentives. The New England Journal of Medicine 322: 1059–1063Google Scholar
- Hickson G.B., Altemeier W.A., Perrin J.M. (1987) Physician reimbursement by salary or fee-for- service: Effect on physician practice behaviour in a randomised prospective study. Pediatrics 80: 344–350Google Scholar
- Holloway P.J., Blinkhorn A.S., Hassall D.C., MellorA .C., Worthington H.V. (1997) An assessment of capitation in the General Dental Service Contract.1. The level of caries and its treatment in regularly attending children and adolescents. British Dental Journal 182: 418–423Google Scholar
- Holloway P.J., Lennon M.A., Mellor A.C., Coventry P., Worthington H.V. (1990) The capitation study. 1. Does capitation encourage ‘supervised neglect?’. British Dental Journal 168: 119–121Google Scholar
- Holst D. (1997) Delivery of oral health care in the Nordic countries. In: Pine C.M. (eds) Community oral health. Wright, Oxford, pp 238–291Google Scholar
- Holst D., Grytten J., Berge K. (2001) Faktiske og ønskede arbeidsforhold i Den offentlige tannhelsetjenesten i Østfold. The Norwegian Dental Journal 111: 220–224Google Scholar
- Jackson Brown L., Ruesch J.D. (2000) Dentists’ participation in capitation and preferred provider organization dental plans. The Journal of the American Dental Association 131: 1485–1489Google Scholar
- Kidd E.A.M., van Amerongen J.P. (2003) The role of operative treatment. In: Fejerskov O., Kidd E. (eds) Dental caries. The disease and its clinical management. Oxford, Blackwell Munksgaard, pp 245–250Google Scholar
- Lazear, E. P. (1996). Performance pay and productivity. NBER Working Paper 5672. Cambridge, MA: National Bureau of Economic Research.Google Scholar
- Lazear E.P. (1998) Personnel economics of managers. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Lazear, E. P. (1999). Personnel economics: Past lessons and future directions. NBER Working Paper, 6957. Cambridge, MA: National Bureau of Economic Research.Google Scholar
- Le Grand, J., Mays, N., Mulligan J.-A., (Eds). (2001) Learning from the NHS Internal Market. King’s Fund, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Magnus S.A. (1999) Physicians’ financial incentives in five dimensions: A conceptual framework for HMO managers. Health Care Management Review 24: 57–72Google Scholar
- Mellor A.C., Blinkhorn A.S., Hassall D.C., Holloway P.J., Worthington H.V. (1997) An assessment of capitation in the General Dental Service Contract. 2. Patterns of treatment provided to regularly attending patients. British Dental Journal 182: 460–464Google Scholar
- Mellor A.C., Coventry P., Worthington H.V., Holloway P.J., Lennon M.A. (1990) The capitation study. 3. The views of participating dentists and the profession. British Dental Journal 168: 303–305Google Scholar
- Ministry of Social Affairs. (1983). Lov om tannhelsetjenesten. Oslo: Ministry of Social Affairs.Google Scholar
- Norwegian Board of Health. (2004). Tannhelsetjenesten i Norge. Omfanget av den offentlige tannhelsetjenesten for de prioriterte gruppene og bemannings-situasjonen i tannhelsetjenesten. Rapport 5/2004. Available September 24, 2008, from Utrykte vedlegg http://www.helsetilsynet.no/templates/ArticleWithLinks____5978.aspx. Oslo: Norwegian Board of Health.
- Norwegian Board of Health. (2005). Ulike fylke, ulike tannhelsetilbod? Tilbodet frå den offentlege tannhelsetenesta til dei prioriterte gruppene, oversyn over bemanningssituasjonen og oppsummering av rapporteringa frå helsetilsynet i fylka. Rapport 8/2005. Oslo: Norwegian Board of Health.Google Scholar
- Office of Fair Trading. (2003). The private dentistry market in the UK. London: Crown.Google Scholar
- Prendergast C. (1999) The provision of incentives in firms. Journal of Economic Literature 37: 7–63Google Scholar
- Robinson R., Steiner A. (1998) Managed health care. Open University Press, BuckinghamGoogle Scholar
- Schoen M.H. (1974) Methodology of capitation payment to group dental practice and effects of such payment on care. Health Services Reports 89: 16–24Google Scholar
- Statistics Norway. (2005). StatBank Norway. Available August 15, 2007, from http://statbank.ssb.no//statistikkbanken/default_fr.asp?PLanguage=1.
- Widström, E., & Eaton, K. A. (1999). Systems for the Provision of Oral Health Care, workforce and costs in the EU and EEA. A council of European chief dental officers’ survey. Helsinki: STAKES.Google Scholar
- Wooldridge J.M. (2002) Econometric analysis of cross section and panel data. The MIT Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts, pp 128–132Google Scholar