Effect of Oral T2 Antigen on Chronic Prostatitis/Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome in Mice Model
- 88 Downloads
The exact etiology and pathogenesis of chronic prostatitis (CP/CPPS) remain unclear. However, autoimmunity is a widely known theory. Precise treatment of CP/CPPS is not available. Here, we developed a new effective treatment method to prevent the occurrence of CP/CPPS. A total of 40 male C57BL/6 mice were randomly divided into four groups (n = 10): i.e., naive, model, high-dose (500 μg/ml), and low-dose (50 μg/ml) groups. High-dose and low-dose groups were orally given 0.4 ml of T2-containing soybean trypsin inhibitor (STI) at once after every 2 days for a total of 10 days. On day 10 and day 24 all the groups except naïve group were subcutaneously injected with 0.2 ml of T2 peptide along with CFA to make valid CP/CPPS models. Hematoxylin and eosin staining were used to evaluate the variation in CP/CPPS manifestation. Voiding behavior was recorded for the evaluation of urine frequencies. ELISA was used to measure the serum level of TNF-α in each group. The high- and low-dose groups of T2-containing STI displayed a reduction in urine frequencies, and inflammation, and there was a slight inflammatory infiltration as compared to the model group. In contrast, there was no difference observed in the TNF-α concentration of model as well as high- and low-dose groups compared to the naïve group. Our study demonstrates that oral T2-containing STI prevents CP/CPPS and provides an effective approach for the treatment of CP/CPPS.
KEY WORDST2 antigen oral tolerance chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome inflammation
Meng Tang, Rahat Ullah, and Junaid Wazir designed the study; Meng Tang and Rahat Ullah performed the experiments and wrote the manuscript; Xinxing Cui and Wenlu Wang contributed to the establishment of mice model. Min Hu and Yuqian Liu helped analyze the data; Farhan Ullah Khan and Awais Ullah Ihsan revised the manuscript; Xiaohui Zhou supervised the whole study.
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China [Grant Nos. 30973003 & 30901993] and Administration of TCM of Jiangsu province [Grant No. LZ11093].
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 2.Assoian, R.K., B.E. Fleurdelys, H.C. Stevenson, P.J. Miller, D.K. Madtes, E.W. Raines, R. Ross, and M.B. Sporn. 1987. Expression and secretion of type beta transforming growth factor by activated human macrophages. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 84 (17): 6020–6024.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Cheng, Y., Y. Cao, A.U. Ihsan, F.U. Khan, X. Li, D. Xie, X. Cui, W. Wang, Z. Liu, C. Li, K.A. Ahmad, K.R. Sembatya, R. Mikrani, and X. Zhou. 2019. Novel Treatment of Experimental Autoimmune Prostatitis by Nanoparticle-Conjugated Autoantigen Peptide T2. Inflammation 42 (3): 1071–1081. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10753-019-00968-5.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Cohen, J.M., A.P. Fagin, E. Hariton, J.R. Niska, M.W. Pierce, A. Kuriyama, J.S. Whelan, J.L. Jackson, and J.D. Dimitrakoff. 2012. Therapeutic intervention for chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CP/CPPS): a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS One 7 (8): e41941. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0041941.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 9.Higgins, P.J., and H.L. Weiner. 1988. Suppression of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis by oral administration of myelin basic protein and its fragments. Journal of Immunology 140 (2): 440–445.Google Scholar
- 10.Ihsan, A.U., F.U. Khan, W. Nawaz, M.Z. Khan, M. Yang, and X. Zhou. 2017. Establishment of a rat model of chronic Prostatitis/Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome (CP/CPPS) induced by immunization with a novel peptide T2. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy 91: 687–692. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biopha.2017.05.004.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Khan, Farhan Ullah, Awais Ullah Ihsan, Waqas Nawaz, Muhammad Zahid Khan, Mengqi Yang, Gang Wang, Xiaoqian Liao, Lei Han, and Xiaohui Zhou. 2017. A novel mouse model of chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome induced by immunization of special peptide fragment with aluminum hydroxide adjuvant. Immunology Letters 187: S0165247817301669.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Kim, S.J., J.H. Kehrl, J. Burton, C.L. Tendler, K.T. Jeang, D. Danielpour, C. Thevenin, K.Y. Kim, M.B. Sporn, and A.B. Roberts. 1990. Transactivation of the transforming growth factor beta 1 (TGF-beta 1) gene by human T lymphotropic virus type 1 tax: a potential mechanism for the increased production of TGF-beta 1 in adult T cell leukemia. Journal of Experimental Medicine 172 (1): 121–129.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Li, Meng, Jinhu Wu, and Yonggang Chen. 2012. Advances in animal models of prostatitis. Medical Review 18 (4): 567–570.Google Scholar
- 20.Miller, A., O. Lider, A.B. Roberts, M.B. Sporn, and H.L. Weiner. 1992. Suppressor T cells generated by oral tolerization to myelin basic protein suppress both in vitro and in vivo immune responses by the release of transforming growth factor beta after antigen-specific triggering. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 89 (1): 421–425.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Nagler-Anderson, C., L.A. Bober, M.E. Robinson, G.W. Siskind, and G.J. Thorbecke. 1986. Suppression of type II collagen-induced arthritis by intragastric administration of soluble type II collagen. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 83 (19): 7443–7446. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.83.19.7443.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 22.Nussenblatt, R.B., R.R. Caspi, R. Mahdi, C.C. Chan, F. Roberge, O. Lider, and H.L. Weiner. 1990. Inhibition of S-antigen induced experimental autoimmune uveoretinitis by oral induction of tolerance with S-antigen. Journal of Immunology 144 (5): 1689–1695.Google Scholar
- 29.Wu, Zaide, and Wu Yuhan. 2004. Surgery [M]. 6th ed, 683–684. Beijing: People’s Medical Publishing House.Google Scholar
- 31.Xiaofeng, Han. 2001. Progress in the mechanism and application of oral tolerance. International Journal of Immunology 24 (5): 265–268.Google Scholar
- 32.Xiaohui, Zhou, Han Lei, Zhou Zhiheng, Liu Zhongde, Yang Jixiang, Lu Yanwei, and You Chunlai. 2005. Morphological and molecular biological characteristics of a rat model of immune chronic nonbacterial prostatitis. Chinese Journal of Andrology: 290–295.Google Scholar
- 33.Yanqun, A., Ye Zhangqun, and Sun Yinghao. 2014. Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of urological diseases in China. Beijing: People’s Health Publishing House.Google Scholar
- 34.Zhang, L., A.U. Ihsan, Y. Cao, Y. Cheng, and X. Zhou. 2017. Establishment of experimental autoimmune prostatitis model by T2 peptide in aluminium hydroxide adjuvant. Andrologia 50: 5.Google Scholar