Astragaloside IV Inhibits Cigarette Smoke-Induced Pulmonary Inflammation in Mice
- 145 Downloads
The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of Astragaloside IV (AS) on cigarette smoke (CS)-induced chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Our results showed that AS alleviated CS-induced pathological injury in lung tissue. AS also increased superoxide dismutase (SOD) and reduced the level of malondialdehyde (MDA) in serum and lung. AS also reduced cytokines including tumor necrosis factor-α (TNF-α), interleukin-6 (IL-6), and interleukin-1β (IL-1β) in serum and lung. More, AS significantly reduced the protein expression of JAK3/STAT3/NF-κB pathway in CS-induced mice. In vitro, cigarette smoke extract (CSE) stimulation exposed to normal human bronchial epithelial (HBE) cells. Results further confirmed that AS significantly inhibited the protein levels of JAK3/STAT3/NF-κB pathway in CSE-induced HBE. Our result showed that AS might effectively ameliorate COPD via JAK3/STAT3/NF-κB pathway.
KEY WORDSAstragaloside IV COPD inflammation
This work was supported by National Natural Science Project (81470225).
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.Johnschuster, G., et al. 2016. Inflammaging increases susceptibility to cigarette smoke-induced COPD. Oncotarget 7 (21): 30068–30083.Google Scholar
- 2.Magrone, T., and E. Jirillo. 2016. Cigarette smoke-mediated perturbations of the immune response: a new therapeutic approach with natural compounds. Endocrine Metabolic & Immune Disorders Drug Targets 16 (3): 158–167.Google Scholar
- 3.Vij, N., Chandramani-Shivalingappa, P., Van Westphal, C., Hole, R., Bodas, M. 2016. Cigarette smoke induced autophagy-impairment accelerates lung aging, COPD-emphysema exacerbations and pathogenesis. American Journal of Physiology Cell Physiology 314 (1): C73–C87.Google Scholar
- 5.Meng, L., J.W. Tang, Y. Wang, J.R. Zhao, M.Y. Shang, M. Zhang, S.Y. Liu, L. Qu, S.Q. Cai, and X.M. Li. 2011. Astragaloside IV synergizes with ferulic acid to inhibit renal tubulointerstitial fibrosis in rats with obstructive nephropathy. British Journal of Pharmacology 162 (8): 1805–1818.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 7.Ahmad, S.F., M.A. Ansari, K.M.A. Zoheir, S.A. Bakheet, H.M. Korashy, A. Nadeem, A.E. Ashour, and S.M. Attia. 2015. Regulation of TNF-α and NF-κB activation through the JAK/STAT signaling pathway downstream of histamine 4 receptor in a rat model of LPS-induced joint inflammation. Immunobiology 220 (7): 889–898.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.XY, Z., et al. 2017. Plumbagin suppresses chronic periodontitis in rats via down-regulation of TNF-α, IL-1β and IL-6 expression. Acta Pharmacologica Sinica.Google Scholar
- 14.Athanasios, V., et al. 2013. Pulmonary oxidative stress, inflammation and cancer: respirable particulate matter, fibrous dusts and ozone as major causes of lung carcinogenesis through reactive oxygen species mechanisms. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 10 (9): 3886–3907.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Kang, K.A., Z.H. Wang, R. Zhang, M.J. Piao, K.C. Kim, S.S. Kang, Y.W. Kim, J. Lee, D. Park, and J.W. Hyun. 2010. Myricetin protects cells against oxidative stress-induced apoptosis via regulation of PI3K/Akt and MAPK signaling pathways. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 11 (11): 4348–4360.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 16.Zhang, H., Z. Ji, T. Xia, H. Meng, C. Low-Kam, R. Liu, S. Pokhrel, S. Lin, X. Wang, Y.P. Liao, M. Wang, L. Li, R. Rallo, R. Damoiseaux, D. Telesca, L. Mädler, Y. Cohen, J.I. Zink, and A.E. Nel. 2012. Use of metal oxide nanoparticle band gap to develop a predictive paradigm for oxidative stress and acute pulmonary inflammation. ACS Nano 6 (5): 4349–4368.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 18.Yan, L., S.M. Yeligar, and A.S. Lou Brown. 2012. Chronic-alcohol-abuse-induced oxidative stress in the development of acute respiratory distress syndrome. TheScientificWorldJournal 2012 (2): 740308.Google Scholar
- 19.Miyazaki, T., et al. 2014. Video-assisted thoracic surgery attenuates perioperative oxidative stress response in lung cancer patients: a preliminary study. Acta Medica Nagasakiensia 59 (1): 19–25.Google Scholar
- 23.Li, J., Y. Wei, X. Li, D. Zhu, B. Nie, J. Zhou, L. Lou, B. Dong, A. Wu, Y. Che, M. Chen, L. Zhu, M. Mu, and L. Chai. 2017. Herbal formula Xian-Fang-Huo-Ming-Yin regulates differentiation of lymphocytes and production of pro-inflammatory cytokines in collagen-induced arthritis mice. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine 17 (1): 12.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar