Salicylate Inhibits Macrophage-Secreted Factors Induced Adipocyte Inflammation and Changes of Adipokines in 3T3-L1 Adipocytes
- 278 Downloads
Antidiabetic effects of salicylates have been known for years, however the cellular and molecular mechanisms of the hypoglycemic activity are not well elucidated. We examined the effects of salicylate on inflammation-related changes in gene or/and protein expressions of several adipokines in 3T3-L1 adipocytes and of LPS-induced inflammatory factors in RAW 264.7 cell. Especially, we focused our attention on the cross-talk between the macrophages and adipocytes. Exposure to RAW-CM medium resulted in an increase in the gene expression or/and protein secretion of TNF-α, IL-6 and resistin, and at the same time, a decrease in the gene expression of PPARγ and adiponectin in 3T3-L1 adipocytes. Salicylate effectively reversed these changes, and up-regulated glucose consumption in adipocytes. We also found salicylate inhibited phosphorylation of NF-κB in RAW-CM-stimulated adipocytes. We conclude salicylate blocks inflammatory process in the pathogenesis of inflammation-related insulin resistance.
KEY WORDSsalicylates adipokines adipocytes macrophage insulin resistance
This study was supported by grants from the Fund of Jiangsu Science Foundation of China (BK200717).
- 6.Cancello, R., C. Henegar, N. Viguerie, S. Taleb, C. Poitou, C. Rouault, M. Coupaye, V. Pelloux, D. Hugol, J. L. Bouillot, A. Bouloumie, G. Barbatelli, S. Cinti, P. A. Svensson, G. S. Barsh, J. Zucker, A. Basdevant, D. Langin, and K. Clement. 2005. Reduction of macrophage infiltration and chemoattractant gene expression changes in white adipose tissue of morbidly obese subjects after surgery induced weight loss. Diabetes 54:2277–2286.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Clement, K., N. Viguerie, C. Poitou, C. Carette, V. Pelloux, C. A. Curat, A. Sicard, S. Rome, A. Benis, J. D. Zucker, H. Vidal, M. Laville, G. S. Barsh, A. Basdevant, V. Stich, R. Cancello, and D. Langin. 2004. Weight loss regulates inflammation-related genes in white adipose tissue of obese subjects. FASEB J. 18:1657–1669.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Zu, L., et al. 2008. Salicylate blocks lipolytic actions of tumor necrosis factor-α in primary rat adipocytes. Molecular Pharmacology Fast Forward 73:215–223.Google Scholar
- 14.Harkins, J. M., N. Moustaid-Moussa, and Y.-J. Chung. 2004. Expression of interleukin-6 is greater in preadipocytes than in adipocytes of 3T3-L1 cells and C57BL/6J and ob/ob mice. J. Nutrition 134:2673–2677.Google Scholar
- 23.Kusminski, C. M., P. G. McTernan, and S. Kumar. 2005. Role of resistin in obesity, insulin resistance and Type II diabetes. Clin. Sci. (Lond.). 109:243–256.Google Scholar
- 25.Zur, E. W. 1876. Therapie des diabetes mellitus, insbesondere über die Anwendung des salicylsauren Natron bei demselben. Berliner Klinische Wochenschrift. 13:337–340.Google Scholar