Inner Anti-inflammatory Mechanisms of Petroleum Ether Extract from Melilotus suaveolens Ledeb
- 242 Downloads
Melilotus suaveolens Ledeb is a species of traditional medical plant for treating inflammation-related disease. This study is to explore the inner anti-inflammatory mechanism on petroleum ether extract from Melilotus suaveolens Ledeb.
Materials and Methods
Inflammatory cellular model was founded by intervention of lipopolysaccharide (LPS) on RAW264.7 cell line. Secretion of TNF-α, IL-1β, IL-6, NO and IL-10 in supernatant, mRNA expression of TNF-α, COX-2, iNOS and HO-1, protein expression of COX-2 and HO-1, activation of NF-κB and ingredients in the extract were assayed.
The extract could not only reduce production of pro-inflammatory mediators by blocking NF-κB activation but promote release of anti-inflammatory mediator HO-1 significantly. The only active ingredient in the extract was coumarin and the concentration of coumarin in each 1 g extract was 0.27822 mg.
Compared to Dexamethasone, the extract not only has similar effects on antagonizing pro-inflammatory mediators and cytokines but has effects on promoting production of anti-inflammatory mediators.
Key wordsMelilotus suaveolens Ledeb petroleum ether extract RAW 264.7 cell line NF-kappaB HO-1
- 2.Kim, K. M., Y. G. Kwon, H. T. Chung, Y. G. Yun, H. O. Pae, J. A. Han, K. S. Ha, T. W. Kim, and Y. M. Kim. 2003. Methanol extract of Cordyceps pruinosa inhibits in vitro and in vivo inflammatory mediators by suppressing NF-kappaB activation. Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol. 190:1–8.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Qi, L. W., Q. T. Yu, P. Li, S. L. Li, Y. X. Wang, L. H. Sheng, and L. Yi. 2006. Quality evaluation of Radix Astragali through a simultaneous determination of six major active isoflavonoids and four main saponins by high-performance liquid chromatography coupled with diode array and evaporative light scattering detectors. J. Chromatogr. A 1134:162–169.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Zoltan, O. T., and M. Foldi. 1970. Effect of coumarin from Melilotus officinalis on the convulsion threshold of the central nervous system in rats and guinea pigs. Arzneim.-Forsch. 20:1625.Google Scholar
- 7.Pastura, G., M. Mesiti, M. Saitta, D. Romeo, N. Settineri, R. Maisano, M. Petix, and A. Giudice. 1999. Lymphedema of the upper extremity in patients operated for carcinoma of the breast: clinical experience with coumarinic extract from Melilotus officinalis. Clin. Ter. 150:403–408.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Franchimont, D., H. Martens, M. T. Hagelstein, E. Louis, W. Dewe, G. P. Chrousos, J. Belaiche, and V. Geenen. 1999. Tumor necrosis factor alpha decreases, and interleukin-10 increases, the sensitivity of human monocytes to dexamethasone: potential regulation of the glucocorticoid receptor. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 84:2834–2839.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar