Influence of the manganese substitution on the cation distribution and magnetic structure of the spinel-related LiFe1-xMn1 + xO4 (x = 0.00, 0.25, 0.50, 0.75) system
We report a modified synthesis for lithium manganese ferrites LiFe1-xMn1 + xO4 (x = 0.00, 0.25, 0.50, 0.75) based on the thermal decomposition of nitrates which produces purer materials when compared to other synthesis methods. The different oxidation states of the various cations and their preferences for particular crystal sites within the spinel-related structure lead to a complex cation distribution and magnetic properties which depend strongly on the composition. The large, almost complete, lithium occupancy of the tetrahedral sites in the spinel structure for particular compositions and the concomitant occurrence of unusual oxidation states of iron show how the synthesis method can be tailored to obtain materials which can have promising applications in the field of lithium-containing batteries.
KeywordsLithium iron manganese oxides Spinels Lithium batteries Mössbauer spectroscopy
PACS82.80.Ej 82.33.Pt 75.47.Lx 78.55.Hx 82.80.Pv 61.10.Nz 61.66.Fn
This work was supported by CSIC-USACH cooperation program and Fondecyt (Chile) 1050178 and Dicyt 51831 EM_DAS projects. Financial support from the Spanish Ministry of Science, Innovation and Universities under project MAT2015-64110-C2-1-P, the Comunidad Autónoma de Madrid NANOMAGCOST-CM project with Ref. P2018/NMT-4321 and the European Commission through Project H2020 No. 720853 (Amphibian) is gratefully acknowledged.
- 3.Shigemura, H., Sakaebe, H., Kageyama, H., Kobayashi, H., West, A.R., Kanno, R., Morimoto, S., Nasu, S., Tabuchi, M.: Structure and Electrochemical Properties of LiFe[sub x]Mn[sub 2−x]O[sub 4] (0≤x≤0.5) Spinel as 5 V Electrode Material for Lithium Batteries. J. Electrochem. Soc. 148, A730–A736 (2001)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Wolska, E., Stempin, K., Krasnowska-Hobbs, O.: X-ray diffraction study on the distribution of lithium ions in LiMn2O4/LiFe5O8 spinel solid solutions. Solid State Ionics. 101–103, 527–531 (1997)Google Scholar
- 6.Bonsdorf, G., Schäffer, K., Langbein, H.: Mn(III) containing ferrites in the system La0.5Fe2.5-xMnxO4. Eur. J. Solid State Inorg. Chem. 34, 1051–1062 (1997)Google Scholar
- 19.Alburquenque, D., Troncoso, L., Denardin, J.C., Butera, A., Padmasree, K.D., Ortiz, J., Herrera, F., Marco, J.F., Gautier, J.L.: Structural and physicochemical properties of nickel manganite NiMn 2 O 4-δ synthesized by sol-gel and ultra sound assisted methods. J. Alloys Comp. 672, 307–316 (2016)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Sakai, Y., Ariyoshi, K., Ohzuku, T.: In situ 57Fe Mössbauer Investigation of Solid-State Redox Reactions of Lithium Insertion Electrodes for Advanced Batteries. Hyperfine Interact. 139/140, 67–76 (2002)Google Scholar