The effect of sulphide and moisture content on steel corrosion during transport of fine wet coal
- 110 Downloads
In the present investigation the influence of compaction pressure (stress) on the corrosivity of wet coal was investigated. Two coal samples, one high in sulphur content (3 %) and the other low in sulphur content (0.6 %) were used to determine the influence of compaction stress on the corrosion rates of steel samples in contact with compacted coal. It was found that the pressure exerted on finely divided wet coal is an important factor in determining its water content and corrosivity towards mild steel. Corrosion of the steel was typically in the form of pitting and the sulphur content of the coal was an important factor in determining the corrosivity of the coal. The corrosion rate of the high sulphur content coal was higher than that of the low sulphur coal. Mössbauer spectroscopy showed that a FeS species developed on the steel surface.
KeywordsWet coal Corrosion Compaction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.http://www.iol.co.za/business/markets/commodities. Accessed 5 April 2012
- 3.Flores, D., da Costa, L.F., Garcia, C., Juan, R., Lemos de Sousa, M.J., Marques, M., Pinheiro, M.J., Rodrigues, C., Ruiz, M.C.: Coal lndaba ’98. 4th Coal Science and Technology Conference, The Fossil Fuel Foundation of Africa, Johannesburg, South Africa, 17–18 November 1998Google Scholar
- 6.Pinheiro, H.J.: Bulletin 113, A techno-economic and historical review of the South African coal industry in the 19th and 20th centuries and analyses of coal product samples of South African collieries, 1998–1999, p. 97. In: Pinheiro, H.J. (ed.) Department of Minerals and Energy and the SABS Coal and Minerals Services (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Total moisture content of coal (air-oven method). SABS Method 923Google Scholar
- 8.Stevens, J.G., Khasanov, A.M., Miller, J.W., Pollak, H., Li, Z. (eds.): In: Mössbauer Mineral Handbook, Mössbauer Effect Data Centre, p. 527. University of North Carolina, Asheville, USA (1998)Google Scholar