Cooling of short-lived, radioactive, highly charged ions with the TITAN cooler Penning trap
- 97 Downloads
TITAN is an on-line facility dedicated to precision experiments with short-lived radioactive isotopes, in particular mass measurements. The achievable resolution on mass measurement, which depends on the excitation time, is limited by the half life of the radioactive ion. One way to bypass this is by increasing the charge state of the ion of interest. TITAN has the unique capability of charge-breeding radioactive ions using an electron-beam ion trap (EBIT) in combination with Penning trap mass spectrometry. However, the breeding process leads to an increase in energy spread, ΔE, which in turn negatively influences the mass uncertainty. We report on the development of a cooler Penning trap which aims at reducing the energy spread of the highly charged ions prior to injection into the precision mass measurement trap. Electron and proton cooling will be tested as possible routes. Mass selective cooling techniques are also envisioned.
KeywordsIon cooler trap Electron cooling Proton cooling Highly charged ions Mass spectrometry
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 18.Ke, Z.: A cooler ion trap for the TITAN on-line trapping facility at TRIUMF. PhD thesis, Univ. of Manitoba, Canada (2008)Google Scholar
- 21.Herfurth, F., et al.: The HITRAP project at GSI: trapping and cooling of highly-charged ions in a Penning trap. In: Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Trapped Charged Particles and Fundamental Physics (TCP 2006), Parksville, Canada, 3–8 September, 2006, PART II/III (2006)Google Scholar
- 23.Schlachter, A.S.: Charge-changing-collisions. In: Proc. of the 10th Int. Cyclotron Conf., 563 (1984)Google Scholar
- 26.Maero, G.: Cooling of highly charged ions in a Penning trap for HITRAP. PhD thesis, University of Heidelberg, Germany (2008)Google Scholar
- 27.Ringle, R., et al.: A “Lorentz” steerer for ion injection into a Penning trap. Int. J. Mass Spectrom. 263, 38 (2007)Google Scholar