The TITAN mass measurement facility at TRIUMF-ISAC
The TITAN facility at TRIUMF-ISAC will use four ion traps with the primary goal of determining nuclear masses with high precision, particularly for short lived isotopes with lifetimes down to approximately 10 ms. The design value for the accuracy of the mass measurement is 1 ×10 − 8. The four main components in the facility are an RF cooler/buncher (RFCT) receiving the incoming ion beam, an electron beam ion trap (EBIT) to breed the ions to higher charge states, a cooler Penning trap (CPET) to cool the highly charged ions, and finally the measurement Penning trap (MPET) for the precision mass determination. Additional goals for this system are laser spectroscopy on ions extracted from the RFCT and beta spectroscopy in the EBIT (in Penning trap mode) on ions that are purified using selective buffer gas cooling in the CPET. The physics motivation for the mass measurements are manifold, from unitarity tests of the CKM matrix to nuclear structure very far from the valley of stability, nuclear astrophysics and the study of halo-nuclei. As a first measurement the mass of 11Li will be determined. With a lifetime of 8.7 ms and a demonstrated production rate of 4×104 ions/sec at ISAC the goal for this measurement at TITAN is a relative uncertainty of 5×10 − 8. This would check previous conflicting measurements and provide information for nuclear theory and models.
KeywordsNuclear mass Standard model Halo nucleus Shell closure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Dombsky, M., et al.: Nucl. Instrum. Methods A701, 484c (2002)Google Scholar
- 16.Bachelet, C., et al.: Eur. Phys. J. A25 s01, 31 (2005)Google Scholar
- 19.Hardy, J.C., Towner, I.S.: Phys. Rev. Lett. 94, 09202 (2005)Google Scholar
- 20.Savajols, H., et al.: Eur. Phys. J. A25, 23 (2005)Google Scholar
- 21.Smith, M., et al.: Hyperfine Interact., doi:10.1007/s10751-007-9554-z
- 22.Froese, M., et al.: Hyperfine Interact., doi: 10.1007/s10751-007-9546-z
- 23.Ke, Z., et al.: Hyperfine Interact., doi:10.1007/s10751-007-9548-x