Community reassembly after river regulation: rapid loss of fish diversity and the emergence of a new state
Hydroelectric expansion has affected the functioning of most tropical rivers in the world. However, community reassembly in Neotropical impoundments remains poorly understood, because long-term studies are incipient. In this context, we evaluated temporal changes in fish diversity before and after the construction of Peixe Angical Dam, Upper Tocantins River, Amazon Basin. Specifically, we investigated changes in taxonomic (richness, abundance and species composition) and functional diversity (trait richness and composition) over a period of a decade. Fish assemblages were sampled at five sites along the river, between 2004 and 2014 (before and after river regulation). As predicted, taxonomic and trait richness declined in the impoundment, and the composition shifted over the years, with increasing dissimilarity between sites. We also observed significant changes in species abundance and trait composition. However, changes were abrupt and a novel community state emerged after the fifth year of the impoundment. After this period, richness and abundance tended to stabilize at low levels, with different species/trait composition when compared to the pre-damming period. Our results indicate that major changes in community structure occurred during the first years of the impoundment, with relevant losses in taxonomic and functional diversity, along with a rapid change towards a new state.
KeywordsDam Environmental filters Functional traits Impoundment Neotropical
We thank colleagues from the Núcleo de Estudos Ambientais (Universidade Federal do Tocantins) for their assistance in field and laboratory work (2004–2007 period), Biota for providing data (2011–2014 period), and Enerpeixe S.A. for financial funding. CNPq provided a scholarship for P.B.P. and a research grant for F.M.P. We thank Luis M. Bini (Editor) and anonymous reviewers for providing comments and corrections.
- Agostinho, A. A., L. E. Miranda, L. M. Bini, L. C. Gomes, S. M. Thomaz & H. I. Suzuki, 1999. Patterns of colonization in Neotropical reservoirs, and prognoses on aging. In Tundisi, J. G. & M. Straskraba (eds), Theoretical Reservoir Ecology and its Applications. Backhuys Publishers, Leiden: 227–265.Google Scholar
- Agostinho, A. A., L. C. Gomes & F. M. Pelicice, 2007. Ecologia e Manejo de Recursos Pesqueiros em Reservatórios do Brasil. EDUEM, Maringá.Google Scholar
- Agostinho, C. S., F. M. Pelicice & E. E. Marques, 2009. Reservatório de Peixe Angical: Bases ecológicas para o manejo da ictiofauna. RiMa Editora, São Carlos.Google Scholar
- Cardoso, P., F. Rigal & J. C. Carvalho, 2018. BAT: Biodiversity Assessment Tools. R Package Version 1.6.0.Google Scholar
- Dray, S., G. Blanchet, D. Borcard, G. Guenard, T. Jombart, G. Larocque, P. Legendre & H. H. Wagner, 2016. adespatial: Multivariate Multiscale Spatial Analysis. R package version 0.0-4.Google Scholar
- Froese, R. & D. Pauly, 2016. FishBase. FAO, Rome. http://fishbase.org.
- Helfman, G. S., B. B. Collette & D. E. Facey, 2009. The Diversity of Fishes, 2nd ed. Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Hoeinghaus, D. J., A. A. Agostinho, L. C. Gomes, F. M. Pelicice, E. K. Okada, J. D. Latini, E. A. L. Kashiwaki & K. O. Winemiller, 2009. Effects of river impoundment on ecosystem services of large tropical rivers: embodied energy and market value of artisanal fisheries. Conservation Biology 23: 1222–1231.PubMedCrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Laliberté, E., P. Legendre & B. Shipley, 2014. FD: Measuring Functional Diversity from Multiple Traits, and Other Tools for Functional Ecology. R Package Version 1.0-12.Google Scholar
- Neuberger, A. L., E. E. Marques, C. S. Agostinho & F. M. Pelicice, 2009. Variações espaciais na atividade reprodutiva de peixes na área de influência do reservatório de Peixe Angical. In Agostinho, C. S., F. M. Pelicice & E. E. Marques (eds), Reservatório de Peixe Angical: bases ecológicas para o manejo da ictiofauna. RiMa Editora, São Carlos: 59–68.Google Scholar
- Oksanen, J., F. G. Blanchet, M. Friendly, R. Kindt, P. Legendre, D. McGlinn, P. R. Minchin, R. B. O’Hara, G. L. Simpson, P. Solymos, M. H. H. Stevens, E. Szoecs & H. Wagner, 2018. Vegan: Community Ecology Package. R Package Version 2.5-3.Google Scholar
- Pough, F. H., C. M. Janis & J. B. Heiser, 2008. A vida dos vertebrados. 2ª edição. Atheneu Editora, São Paulo.Google Scholar
- R Development Core Team, 2011. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing. www.r-project.org.
- Santos, N. C. L., H. S. Santana, J. C. G. A. Ortega, R. M. Dias, L. F. Stegmann, I. M. S. Araújo, W. Severi, L. M. Bini, L. C. Gomes & A. A. Agostinho, 2017. Environmental filters predict the trait composition of fish communities in reservoir cascades. Hydrobiologia 802: 245–253.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Soares, A. B., F. M. Pelicice, P. H. F. Lucinda, A. Akama & C. S. Agostinho, 2009. Diversidade de peixes na área de influência da barragem de Peixe Angical, antes e após a formação do reservatório. In Agostinho, C. S., F. M. Pelicice & E. E. Marques (eds), Reservatório de Peixe Angical: bases ecológicas para o manejo da ictiofauna. RiMa Editora, São Carlos: 15–27.Google Scholar
- Vitule, J. R. S., A. A. Agostinho, V. M. Azevedo-Santos, V. S. Daga, W. R. T. Darwall, D. B. Fitzgerald, F. A. Frehse, D. J. Hoeinghaus, D. P. Lima-Junior, A. L. B. Magalhães, M. L. Orsi, A. A. Padial, F. M. Pelicice, M. Petrere Jr., P. S. Pompeu & K. O. Winemiller, 2017. We need better understanding about functional diversity and vulnerability of tropical freshwater fishes. Biodiversity and Conservation 26: 757–762.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Winemiller, K. O., P. B. McIntyre, L. Castello, E. Fluet- Chouinard, T. Giarrizzo, S. Nam, I. G. Baird, W. Darwall, N. K. Lujan, I. Harrison, M. L. J. Stiassny, R. A. M. Silvano, D. B. Fitzgerald, F. M. Pelicice, A. A. Agostinho, L. C. Gomes, J. S. Albert, E. Baran, M. Petrere-Juńior, C. Zarfl, M. Mulligan, J. P. Sullivan, C. C. Arantes, L. M. Sousa, A. A. Koning, D. J. Hoeinghaus, M. Sabaj, J. G. Lundberg, J. Armbruster, M. L. Thieme, P. Petry, J. Zuanon, G. T. Vilara, J. Snoeks, C. Ou, W. Rainboth, C. S. Pavanelli, A. Akama, A. van Soesbergen & L. Saenz, 2016. Balancing hydropower and biodiversity in the Amazon, Congo, and Mekong. Science 351: 128–129.PubMedCrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar