The impact of introduced pike (Esox lucius L.) on allopatric brown trout (Salmo trutta L.) in a small stream
- 278 Downloads
The abundance and size-structure of a formerly allopatric brown trout (Salmo trutta L.) population in an inlet stream to a small lake were monitored for 9 years (1987–1995) after the first observation of introduced pike (Esox lucius L.), and revisited 18 years later (2013). All age groups of brown trout were reduced after the pike introduction, especially older fish of age-≥2+, but less so for age-0+ and 1+ fish. We suggest that the decline of older brown trout is mainly due to the high predation pressure from pike when migrating into the adjacent lake to feed. Young stream-dwelling pike of age-0+ and 1+ which ranged between 6 and 27 cm in length may also exert a predation pressure on juvenile brown trout that remains in the stream.
KeywordsStream Brown trout Pike predation Density Population structure
This study was financed by Norwegian Institute for Nature Research. We thank our colleague Ola Ugedal and two anonymous referees for valuable comments on this paper.
- Davis, M. A., 2009. Invasion Biology. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK: 244.Google Scholar
- Elliott, J. M., 1994. Quantitative Ecology and the Brown Trout. Oxford University Press, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Hambright, K. D., R. W. Drenner, S. R. McComas & N. G. Hairston, 1991. Gape-limited piscivores: Planktivore size refuges, and the trophic cascade hypothesis. Archiv für Hydrobiologie 121: 389–404.Google Scholar
- Harvey, H. H., 1981. Fish communities of the Manitoulin Island lakes. Verhandlungen Internationale Vereinigung für Theoretische und Angewandte Limnologie Verhandlungen 20: 2031–2038.Google Scholar
- Hesthagen, T. & O. T. Sandlund. 2012. Gjedde, sørv og suter: status, vektorer og tiltak mot uønsket spredning. Norwegian Institute for Nature Research, Report 669. 45. (in Norwegian).Google Scholar
- Hesthagen, T., P. Fiske, B. Barlaup & E. B. Thorstad. 2010. Fisk. In Nybø, S. (ed), Datagrunnlag for “Naturindeks for Norge”. DN-utredning 4-2010: 85–89 (in Norwegian).Google Scholar
- Jonsson, B. & N. Jonsson, 2011. Ecology of Atlantic salmon and brown trout. Habitat as a template for life histories. Fish & Fisheries series, Vol. 33. Springer, Dordrecht: 708.Google Scholar
- Mills, D. H. 1964. The ecology of the young stages of the Atlantic salmon in the River Bran, Roo-shire. Freshwater and Salmon Fisheries Research 32: 58.Google Scholar
- Museth, J., O. T. Sandlund, T. E. Brandrud, S. W. Johansen, G. Kjellberg, J. E. Løvik, O. Reitan, O. T. Taugbøl & K. J. Aanes. 2006. The river reservoir Løpsjøen in River Søndre Rena—A survey of vegetation, zooplankton, fish and birds 35 years after establishment. Norwegian Institute for Nature Research, Report 168: 53. (in Norwegian).Google Scholar
- Raat, A. J. P. 1988. Synopsis of biological data on the northern pike, Esox Lucius Linneaus, 1758. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. FAO Fisheries Synopsis No 30 Rev. 2: 178.Google Scholar
- Ricker, W. E. 1975. Computation and interpretation of biological statistics of fish populations. Bulletine of Fisheries Research Board of Canada. Report No 191: 382.Google Scholar
- Roy, E. D, J. F. Martin, E. G. Irwin, J. D. Conroy & D. A. Culver. 2010. Transient social–ecological stability: The effects of invasive species and ecosystem restoration on nutrient management compromise in Lake Erie. Ecology and Society 15 (1): 20 [online]. http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol15/iss1/art20/.
- Saksgård, R. & T. Hesthagen. 2014. Fisk i Atnsjøen. In Jensen, T. C. (ed), Nettverk for biologisk mangfold i ferskvann—resultater 2012. Norwegian Institute for Nature Research, Minirapport 502: 18–22 (in Norwegian).Google Scholar
- Sandlund, O. T., T. Hesthagen & Å. Brabrand, 2013a. Coregonid introductions in Norway: Well-intended and successful, but destructive. Advances in Limnology 64: 341–358.Google Scholar
- Schartau, A. K., T. Hesthagen, B. M. Larsen & M. Lindholm. 2010. Ferskvann. In Nybø, S. (ed), Naturindeks for Norge. DN-utredning 3-2010: 60–69 (in Norwegian).Google Scholar
- Shafi, M. & M. S. Maitland, 1971. Comparative aspects of the biology of pike Esox lucius in two Scottish lochs. Proceedings of the Royal Society of Edinburgh 71B: 41–60.Google Scholar
- Smith, E. P. 2013. BACI design. In El-Shaarawi, A. H. & W. W. Piegorsch (eds), Encyclopedia of Environmetrics, Vol. 1. Wiley, New York: 141–148.Google Scholar