Emissions of greenhouse gases from Lake Neusiedl, a shallow steppe lake in Eastern Austria
- 440 Downloads
Greenhouse gas emissions of Lake Neusiedl, the westernmost European shallow steppe lake, were analysed to identify differences between the seasons of the years and between different locations in the pelagic zone and reed belt. Emissions of CO2, CH4 and N2O were measured in gas samples that had been recovered from the gas space of floating chambers operated as closed systems. Sampling periods covered all seasons except winter. Scaled up to the whole lake area (320 km2), the diffusive emissions of spring, summer and autumn totalled to about 79,500 t CO2e, disregarding bubble emissions, winter emissions and plant-mediated emissions. The emission sum consisted of about 57,000 t CO2, 760 t CH4, and 12 t N2O. Approximately one-third of the methane and carbon dioxide emissions originated in the pelagic zone and two-thirds in the reed belt (without plant emissions) whereas nitrous oxide emissions were similar in these two zones. An estimate of ebullitive emissions resulted in additional 1,765 t CH4 that predominantly originated in or near the reed belt from spring to autumn.
KeywordsCarbon dioxide Methane Nitrous oxide Ebullition Gas flux
This study was performed as part of the project EULAKES that is financially supported by the Central Europe Programme and the ERDF funds of the European Union (Project Nr. 2CE243P3). The authors thank three anonymous reviewers who provided valuable suggestions to improve an earlier version of the manuscript considerably. We are also grateful to Gerhard Heiss for providing Fig. 1 of this paper.
- Bastviken, D., J. J. Cole, M. L. Pace & L. Tranvik, 2004. Methane emissions from lakes: dependence of lake characteristics, two regional assessments, and a global estimate. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 18: GB4009.Google Scholar
- Battin, T. J., L. A. Kaplan, S. Findlay, C. S. Hopkinson, E. Marti, A. I. Packman, J. D. Newbold & F. Sabater, 2008. Biophysical controls on organic carbon fluxes in fluvial networks. Nature Geoscience 1, 95–100, 2: 595.Google Scholar
- Forster, P., V. Ramaswamy, P. Artaxo, T. Berntsen, R. Betts, D.W. Fahey, J. Haywood, J. Lean, D.C. Lowe, G. Myhre, J. Nganga, R. Prinn, G. Raga, M. Schulz & R. Van Dorland, 2007. Changes in atmospheric constituents and in radiative forcing. In Solomon, S., D. Qin, M. Manning, Z. Chen, M. Marquis, K. B. Averyt, M. Tignor & H. L. Miller (eds), Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge/New York.Google Scholar
- Hietz, P., 1992. Die Rolle des Detritus im Ökosystem des Schilfgürtels am Neusiedler See, Verhandlungen der Zoologisch-Botanischen Gesellschaft. Österreich 129: 35–66.Google Scholar
- Huttunen, J. T., K. M. Lappalainen, E. Saarijarvi, T. Vaisanen & P. J. Martikainen, 2001. A novel sediment gas sampler and a subsurface gas collector used for measurement of the ebullition of methane and carbon dioxide from a eutrophied lake. Science of the Total Environment 266: 153–158.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Huttunen, J. T., J. Alm, A. Liikanen, S. Juutinen, T. Larmola, T. Hammar, J. Silvola & P. J. Martikainen, 2003. Fluxes of methane, carbon dioxide and nitrous oxide in boreal lakes and potential anthropogenic effects on the aquatic greenhouse gas emissions. Chemosphere 52: 609–621.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lopes, F., E. Viollier, A. Thiam, G. Michard, G. Abril, A. Groleau, F. Prevot, J. F. Carrias, P. Alberic & D. Jezequel, 2011. Biogeochemical modelling of anaerobic vs. aerobic methane oxidation in a meromictic crater lake (Lake Pavin, France). Applied Geochemistry 26: 1919–1932.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Spangl, W. & L. Moosmann, 2010. Luftgütemessungen und meteorologische Messungen. REP-0262. Umweltbundesamt Wien, 116 pp.Google Scholar
- Spangl, W. & C. Nagl, 2011. Jahresbericht der Luftgütemessungen in Österreich 2010. REP-0326. Umweltbundesamt Wien, 175 pp.Google Scholar
- Wang, S. L., C. Q. Liu, K. M. Yeager, G. J. Wan, J. Li, F. X. Tao, Y. C. Lue, F. Liu & C. X. Fan, 2009. The spatial distribution and emission of nitrous oxide (N(2)O) in a large eutrophic lake in eastern China: anthropogenic effects. Science of the Total Environment 407: 3330–3337.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar