An introduction to the Freshwater Animal Diversity Assessment (FADA) project
The Freshwater Animal Diversity Assessment (FADA) project aims at compiling an overview of genus- and species-level diversity of animals in the continental, aquatic ecosystems of the world. It is a collective effort of 163 experts, and presents 59 articles treating the diversity and endemism of different animal taxa, ranging from microscopic worms to mammals, at global and regional scales. Given their structural importance, an article on macrophytes is also added. Here, we give an overview of the project’s history, and outline the common framework of the various articles, as well as the conventions the experts agreed to adhere to in their treatises. Furthermore, we briefly introduce future prospects.
KeywordsGlobal biodiversity Endemism Metazoa Aquatic Non-marine Freshwater Review
- Balian, E., H. Segers, C. Lévêque & K. Martens, 2007. Freshwater Animal Diversity Assessment. http://www.Fada.Biodiversity.be (20 November 2007).
- Dudgeon, D., A. H. Arthington, M. O. Gessner, Z. Kawabata, D. J. Knowler, C. Lévêque, R. J. Naiman, A. Prieur-Richard, D. Soto, M. L. J. Stiassny & C. A. Sullivan, 2006. Freshwater biodiversity: Importance, threats, status and conservation challenges. Biological Reviews 81: 163–182.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Groombridge, B. & M. Jenkins, 1998. Freshwater Biodiversity: A Preliminary Global Assessment. World Conservation Monitoring Centre, Cambridge, U.K.Google Scholar
- Groombridge, B. & M. Jenkins, 2000. Global Biodiversity. Earth’s Living Resources in the 21st Century. World Conservation Monitoring Centre, Cambridge, U.K.Google Scholar
- IUCN, 2006. 2006 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. http://www.iucnredlist.org (20 November 2007).
- Postel, S., & S. Carpenter, 1997. Freshwater ecosystem services. In: Daily, G. C. (ed.), Nature’s Services: Societal Dependence on Ecosystem Services. Island Press, Washington D.C., U.S.A., 195–214.Google Scholar
- Postel, S. & B. Richter, 2003. Rivers for Life: Managing Water for People and Nature. Island Press, Washington D.C., U.S.A.Google Scholar
- Revenga, C. & Y. Kura, 2003. Status and Trends of Biodiversity of Inland Water Ecosystems. Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity, Montreal, Technical Series 11.Google Scholar
- Segers, H., 2007. Annotated checklist of the rotifers (Phylum Rotifera) with notes on nomenclature, taxonomy and distribution. Zootaxa 1564: 1–104.Google Scholar
- Wallace, A. R. 1876. The Geographical Distribution of Animals, 2 vol. Harper, New York, xxiii + 503, xi + 553 pp. (reprinted 1962, Hafner, New York).Google Scholar