Use of Accumulation Basins to Reduce Silting of Reservoirs of Hydroelectric Power Plants Located on Mountain Rivers
The effectiveness of the use of accumulation basins ordinarily used for river sediment to reduce the rate of silting of the reservoirs of hydroelectric power plants situated on mountain rivers is considered. The investigation is performed by methods of numerical hydrodynamic simulation based on the two-dimensional Saint-Venant equations and a new model of sediment transport that takes into account the fractional composition of the sediment. Using as an example a concrete reservoir located on a mountain river, it is shown that it is extraordinarily important to take into account the heterogeneity of the soil in the process of solving these types of problems. A combination of the annual hydraulic flushing of reservoirs and mechanical removal of soil from the accumulation basins together assure the required useful volume throughout the entire service life of the hydroelectric plant, though it requires the annual removal of up to 40% of the sediment discharge of the river.
Keywordshydroelectric power plant silting of reservoirs hydraulic flushing accumulation basins numerical simulation shallow water equations fractional composition of soil
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.N. G. Varazashvili and G. S. Subkhankulova, “Generalization of results of field studies of silting of reservoirs in mountain regions (using reservoirs in Transcaucasia as an example),” in: Proc. V All-Union. Hydrolog. Congr. Stream Processes and Sediment. Vol. 10. Book 2 [in Russian], Gidrometeoizdat (1988), pp. 62 – 69.Google Scholar
- 2.Numerical Studies of Sediment Runoff and Stream Processes on the Kuban River for Construction of Small Krasnoyarsk Hydroelectric Power Plant-2 [in Russian], NTO OOO NPP AKVARIUS ANALITIK, Moscow (2017).Google Scholar
- 3.A. I. Aleksyuk and V. V. Belikov, STREAM 2D CUDA Software Package for Calculation of Flows, Deformations of Floor, and Transport of Pollutants in Open Streams with the Use of the Technologies of Compute Unified Device Architecture (on NVIDIA Graphic Processors): Certificate No. 2017660266 [in Russian], State Registration of Computer Programs (Sept. 20, 2017).Google Scholar
- 4.V. V. Belikov, Ye. S. Vasil’eva, and A. M. Prudovskiy, “Numerical simulation of outburst wave of dam of Krasnoyarsk reservoir,” Gidrotekh. Stroit., No. 5 (2010).Google Scholar
- 5.V. V. Belikov, N.M. Borisova, and G. L. Gladkov, “Mathematical model of transport of sediment for calculation of the rate of drift of dredge trenches and channel quarries,” Zh. Univ. Vodn. Komm., No. 6 (2016).Google Scholar
- 7.G. L. Gladkov, Maintaining the Stability of Channels of Navigable Rivers in the Course of Dredging and the Development of Channel Quarries. Doctoral Thesis [in Russian], SPbGUVK, St. Petersburg (1996).Google Scholar
- 8.V. S. Knoroz, “Natural riprap of channels formed by materials of heterogeneous grain size,” Izv. VNIIG, 70, 21 – 51 (1962).Google Scholar