Cetacean By-Catch in the Korean Peninsula—by Chance or by Design?
- First Online:
- 304 Downloads
Whaling remains one of the most contentious issues in global conservation. In South Korea, where commercial and subsistence whaling are both illegal, domestic sales of cetacean products such as skin, blubber and red meat are allowed if they are accidently caught. However, environmental groups have claimed that the high price of meat may be acting as an incentive for illegal hunting and ‘deliberate by-catch’ where whales are intentionally killed or left to die by fishermen when they become trapped in their nets. In this paper we investigate the issue of deliberate by-catch and illegal hunting of the protected Minke J-stock population in Korean waters using grounded theory, an approach that allows theories and understanding to emerge from the analysis of both qualitative and quantitative data. Our research suggests that deliberate by-catch is almost certainly taking place but that illegal hunting and/or illegal importation from Japan may be far more significant sources of Minke whale meat. We discuss possible measures to reduce incentives for deliberate by-catch and illegal hunting such as the introduction of mandatory reporting of quantities supplied and consumed in restaurants and a tax on meat sales at auction. More generally, our research illustrates how the analysis of price movements can shed light on the scale of illegal wildlife trade and how a combination of both qualitative and quantitative methodologies can provide understanding of a complex, multifaceted conservation issue.
KeywordsMinke whale–By-Catch South Korea Illegal trade Conservation
- An, Y. R., Choi, S. G. and Moon, D. Y. (2010a). A review on the status of bycatch minke whales in Korean waters. Paper presented to the IWC Scientific Committee (SC/62/NPM19). Available from the IWC.Google Scholar
- An, Y. R., Choi, S. G., Moon, D. Y. and Park, K. J. (2010b). A review of abundance estimates of common minke whale using the sighting surveys conducted in subareas 5 and 6 by Korea from 2000 to 2009. Paper presented to the IWC Scientific Committee (SC/62/NPM16Rev.). Available from the IWC.Google Scholar
- Bernard, H. R. (2006). Research methods in Anthropology: Qualitative and quantitative approaches, 4th ed., Altamira Press.Google Scholar
- Busan Ilbo (2010). War against illegal whaling with the purpose of receiving whaling quotas. 21 Jul 2010, Busan Ilbo (local media), R oK. Retrieved 11 Nov 2010 from http://news20.busan.com/news/newsController.jsp?subSectionId=1010020000&newsId=20100721000058.
- Chang, H. Y. (2003). Analysis on the Present Business States of Coastal and Off-shore Fisheries by Type of Fishery. Studies on Education of Fisheries and Marine Sciences 15(2): 166–175.Google Scholar
- Cowlishaw, G. C., Mendelson, S., et al. (2005). Evidence for post-depletion sustainability in a mature bushmeat market. Conservation Biology 19: 139–149.Google Scholar
- Denscombe, M. (2003). The good research guide: for small-scale social research projects, 2nd ed. Open University Press, Buckingham.Google Scholar
- Fisheries Economic Institute (2010). Fisheries Management Research. Search available from the website of National Federation of Fisheries Cooperatives (http://fei.suhyup.co.kr/).
- Fisheries Information Service (2010). Fishing vessels statistics. Search available from the website of Fisheries Information Service (http://www.fips.go.kr/).
- Glaser, B. G. (1994). The Constant Comparative Method of Qualitative Analisys. In More Grounded Theory Methodology: A Reader., Sociology Press.Google Scholar
- Goto, M., and Pastene, L. A. (1997). Population structure in the western North Pacific minke whale based on an RFLP analysis of the mt DNA control region. Rep. IWC 47: 531–538.Google Scholar
- Greenpeace International (2005). Korea's Minke whales—sliding into extinction. Media briefing, Retrieved 15 Dec 2006, from http://www.greenpeace.org/raw/content/international/press/reports/korea-s-minke-whales-slidin.pdf.
- Hankook Ilbo (2004). Crying at shortage of whale meats, 30 May 2004, Hankook Ilbo (National media), Republic of Korea. Retrieved 5 May 2007 from http://news.hankooki.com/ArticleView/ArticleView.php?url=society/200405/h2004053020073043380.htm&ver=v002.
- Hwang, S. Y., and Moon, M. D. (1984). Bangudae. Dongguk University Press, Seoul.Google Scholar
- Dong A Ilbo (2004). No whale meat, no whale festival. 25 Mar 2004, Dong A Ilbo (National media), Republic of Korea. Retrieved 10 Aug 2007 from http://news.donga.com/3/all/20040325/8043598/1.
- Dong A Ilbo (2006). “Whales in the East sea, scared of fishing nets.” 4 Apr 2006, Dong A Ilbo (National media), Republic of Korea. Retrieved 11 Dec 2010 from http://news.donga.com/3/all/20060404/8291982/1.
- IWC (1997). Report of the scientific committee, Annex J: Report of the working group on North Pacific minke whale trials. Rep. IWC 47: 203–226.Google Scholar
- IWC (2009). Report of the Scientific Committee, Annex J: Report of the working group on estimation of bycatch and other human-induced mortality. Retrieved 6 Dec 2010 from http://iwcoffice.org/_documents/sci_com/SCRepFiles2009/Annex%20J%20-%20Final-sq.pdf.
- Kang, S., and Phipps, M. (2000). A survey of whale meat markets along South Korea's coast. TRAFFIC East Asia, Hong Kong.Google Scholar
- KCG (2010). Roundup of a gang of whalers and whale meat distributors on the East coast. Media briefing, Retrieved 7 Nov, 2010 from http://www.korea.kr/newsWeb/pages/search/search.jsp?dquery=%EB%8F%99%ED%95%B4%EC%95%88+%EC%9D%BC%EB%8C%80+%EB%B0%8D%ED%81%AC%EA%B3%A0%EB%9E%98+%EB%B6%88%EB%B2%95%ED%8F%AC%ED%9A%8D&collection=&chk=true.
- KFEM (2005). Sanctuary or Cemetery? Choosing a future for Korea's oceans. Media briefing, Retrieved 7 Jan, 2007, from http://kfem.or.kr/bbs/view.php?id=whale_news&page=1&sn1=&divpage=1&sn=off&ss=on&sc=on&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=3.
- Kim, Z. G. (1999). Bycatch of Minke whales in Korean waters. Journal of Cetacean Research and Management 1(Suppl): 98–100.Google Scholar
- MBC (2010). Illegal whaling rampant… fishermen calling for culling, 28 July 2010, MBC (National media), Republic of Korea. Retrieved on 4 Nov 2010 from http://imnews.imbc.com/replay/nwtoday/article/2667595_5782.html.
- MIFAFF (2010). New changes in cetacean management, Media briefing, 12 Aug 2010, Retrieved 28 Aug 2010 from http://www.korea.kr/newsWeb/pages/brief/partNews2/view.do?toDate=&fromDate=¤tPage&dataId=155667802&siteName=.
- Ministry of Food, Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries (2009). “Notification about whaling ban”, Notification No. 2009–113.Google Scholar
- Rowcliffe, J. M., Cowlishaw, G., et al. (2003). A model of human hunting impacts in multi-prey communities. Journal of Applied Ecology 40(872): 889.Google Scholar
- SBS (2008). Illegally killed and sold whale meat for 90 whales caught by the police, 18 Mar 2008, SBS (National media), Republic of Korea. Retrieved 26 Oct 2010, from http://news.sbs.co.kr/section_news/news_read.jsp?news_id=N1000391267.
- Segye Ilbo (2007). “Illegal whaling methods getting increasingly sophisticated”, 18 Jun 2007, Segye Ilbo (National media), Republic of Korea. Retrieved 10 Aug 2007 from http://www.segye.com/Articles/News/WholeCountry/Article.asp?aid=20070618001685&ctg1=01&ctg2=00&subctg1=01&subctg2=00&cid=0101070100000&dataid=200706181325000079.
- Shin, Y. T., and Kim, S. (2002). Directions for the Improvement of Coastal Fisheries Management. The Journal of Fisheries Business Administration 33(1): 69–83.Google Scholar
- Statistics Korea (2010). Survey of fish landing trends. Search available from the website of Korean Statistical Information Service (http://kosis.kr/).
- Strauss, A., and Corbin, J. (1998). Basics of qualitative research: Techniques and procedures for developing grounded theory, 2nd ed. Sage Publications, Inc, California.Google Scholar
- Tinch, R. and Phang, Z. (2009) Sink or Swim: The Economics of Whaling Today. A Summary Report produced by WWF and WDCS Based on a study by Economics for the Environment Consultancy (eftec). Retrieved 1 Sep 2010 from http://assets.panda.org/downloads/economics_whaling_summ_report_final.pdf.
- Trippel, E., Strong, M. B., Terhune, J. M., and Conway, J. (1999). Mitigation of harbor porpoise (Phocoena phocoena) bycatch in the gillnet fishery in the lower Bay of Fundy. Canadian Journal of Aquatic Science 56: 113–123.Google Scholar
- Ulsan Metropolitan city (2003). Studies in preservation measures for Petroglyphs of Bangudae. Ulsan Metropolitan city, South Korea.Google Scholar
- Ulsanpress (2010). Lifting whaling ban to stop the side effect of illegal whaling, 11 Jul 2010, Ulsanpress (Local media), Republic of Korea. Retrieved 18 Oct 2010 from http://www.ulsanpress.net/news/articleView.html?idxno=56869.
- Wade, P. R., Leaper, R., Kasuya, T. and Double, M. (2010) Factors to be considered when using abundance estimates for North Pacific minke whales. Paper presented to the IWC Scientific Committee (SC/62/NPM14Rev.). Available from the IWC.Google Scholar
- Yeonhap News (2005). 150 whales consumed annually. 2 Feb 2005, Yeonhap News (National media), Republic of Korea. Retrieved 18 Jun 2007 from http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?mode=LSD&mid=sec&sid1=100&oid=001&aid=0000902769.