Patient classification considering the risk of restenosis after coronary stent placement
- 121 Downloads
Aging and some lifestyle habits cause plaque accumulation in the blood vessels of the heart and this causes narrowing of the arteries. Stents are tiny wire mesh tubes which are used in balloon angioplasty to keep the vessels open. However, the stented vessel has a risk of re-narrowing due to the recovery response of the stented vessel segment and this is called in-stent-restenosis. The objective of this study is classifying patients according to their risks of restenosis. For this purpose, first a utilites additives discriminates model called parametrized classification model is developed, then to improve the classification performance of this model, a non-dominated sorting based multi-objective evolutionary algorithm (NSGA-II) is implemented. Finally, computational experiments are conducted with real life data to demonstrate the efficiency of proposed methods.
KeywordsHealthcare Classification Evolutionary algorithms
The research of the first author is supported by the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey, Grant Nos. BIDEB-2211-A and BIDEB-2214-A.
- American Heart Association: What is a stent? https://www.heart.org/idc/groups/heart-public/wcm/hcm/documents/downloadable/ucm300452.pdf
- Cassese, S., Byrne, R.A., Tada, T., Pinieck, S., Joner, M., Ibrahim, T., King, L.A., Fusaro, M., Laugwitz, K.L., Kastrati, A.: Incidence and predictors of restenosis after coronary stenting in 10 004 patients with surveillance angiography. Heart 100(2), 153–159 (2014)Google Scholar
- ClevelandClinic: In-stent restenosis-coronary artery disease. http://my.clevelandclinic.org/services/heart/disorders/coronary-artery-disease/instentrestenosis
- Das, S., Panigrahi, B.K. (2009). Multi-objective evolutionary algorithms. In: Rabuñal Dopico, J., Dorado, J., Pazos, A. (eds.) Encyclopedia of Artificial Intelligence, pp 1145–1151. IGI Global, Hershey, PA (2009). https://doi.org/10.4018/978-1-59904-849-9.ch167
- Doğan, A., Kozan, Ö., Tüzün, N.: Stent-içi restenozun fizyopatolojisi ve tedavisi. Türk Kardiyol Dern Arş 33, 115–25 (2005)Google Scholar
- Knowles, J.D., Corne, D.: Local search, multiobjective optimization and the Pareto archived evolution strategy. In: Proceedings of Third Australia–Japan Joint Workshop on Intelligent and Evolutionary Systems, pp. 209–216 (1999)Google Scholar
- MedStar Health Cardiology Associates: Angioplasty/stenting. http://www.heartcapc.com/handler.cfm?event=practice,templatecpid=5916
- Patient Education Center: Coronary artery disease. http://www.patienteducationcenter.org/articles/coronary-artery-disease/
- Price, M.J.: Coronary Stenting: A Companion to Topol’s Textbook of Interventional Cardiology. Elsevier Health Sciences, Amsterdam (2013)Google Scholar
- Van Veldhuizen, D.A., Lamont, G.B.: Multiobjective optimization with messy genetic algorithms. In: Proceedings of the 2000 ACM Symposium on Applied Computing, vol. 1, pp. 470–476. ACM (2000)Google Scholar
- Zitzler, E., Lothar, T.: An evolutionary algorithm for multiobjective optimization: the strength Pareto approach TIK-report 43 (1998). https://doi.org/10.3929/ethz-a-004288833