A GRASP + ILP-based metaheuristic for the capacitated location-routing problem
- 696 Downloads
In this paper we present a three-phase heuristic for the Capacitated Location-Routing Problem. In the first stage, we apply a GRASP followed by local search procedures to construct a bundle of solutions. In the second stage, an integer-linear program (ILP) is solved taking as input the different routes belonging to the solutions of the bundle, with the objective of constructing a new solution as a combination of these routes. In the third and final stage, the same ILP is iteratively solved by column generation to improve the solutions found during the first two stages. The last two stages are based on a new model, the location-reallocation model, which generalizes the capacitated facility location problem and the reallocation model by simultaneously locating facilities and reallocating customers to routes assigned to these facilities. Extensive computational experiments show that our method is competitive with the other heuristics found in the literature, yielding the tightest average gaps on several sets of instances and being able to improve the best known feasible solutions for some of them.
KeywordsLocation-routing Column generation Metaheuristic
We thank the three anonymous referees and the Associate Editor for their helpful comments and suggestions that contributed to improve the quality of the article. We also thank the Canadian Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) for its financial support.
- Barreto, S.: Análise e Modelização de Problemas de localização-distribuição. Ph.D. thesis, University of Aveiro, Campus Universitário de Santiago, 3810–193 Aveiro, Portugal. In Portuguese (2004)Google Scholar
- Contardo, C., Cordeau, J.F., Gendron, B.: A computational comparison of flow formulations for the capacitated location-routing problem. Technical Report CIRRELT-2011-47, Université de Montréal, Canada (2011)Google Scholar
- Contardo, C., Cordeau, J.F.: Gendron. B. An exact algorithm based on cut-and-column generation for the capacitated location-routing problem, INFORMS J. Comput. (2013). (Forthcoming)Google Scholar
- Pirkwieser, S., Raidl, G.R. Variable neighborhood search coupled with ILP-based very large-neighborhood searches for the (periodic) location-routing problem. In: Blesa, M., Blum, C., Raidl, G., Roli, A., Sampels, M. (eds.) Hybrid Metaheuristics, volume 6373 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 174–189 (2010)Google Scholar
- Prodhon, C.: An ELS x path relinking hybrid for the periodic location-routing problem. In: Blesa, M., Blum, C., Di Gaspero, L., Roli, A., Sampels, M., Schaerf, A. (eds.) Hybrid Metaheuristics, volume 5818 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 15–29 (2009)Google Scholar
- Prodhon, C., Prins, C.: A memetic algorithm with population management (MA\(|\)PM) for the periodic location-routing problem. In: Blesa, M., Blum, C., Cotta, C., Fernández, A., Gallardo, J., Roli, A., Sampels, M. (eds.) Hybrid Metaheuristics, volume 5296 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 43–57 (2008)Google Scholar
- Subramanian, A., Uchoa, E., Ochi, L.S.: A hybrid algorithm for a class of vehicle routing problems. Comput. Oper. Res. 40, 2519–2531 (2013)Google Scholar