Heuristics and metaheuristics for the maximum diversity problem
This paper presents extensive computational experiments to compare 10 heuristics and 20 metaheuristics for the maximum diversity problem (MDP). This problem consists of selecting a subset of maximum diversity from a given set of elements. It arises in a wide range of real-world settings and we can find a large number of studies, in which heuristic and metaheuristic methods are proposed. However, probably due to the fact that this problem has been referenced under different names, we have only found limited comparisons with a few methods on some sets of instances.
This paper reviews all the heuristics and metaheuristics for finding near-optimal solutions for the MDP. We present the new benchmark library MDPLIB, which includes most instances previously used for this problem, as well as new ones, giving a total of 315. We also present an exhaustive computational comparison of the 30 methods on the MDPLIB. Non-parametric statistical tests are reported in our study to draw significant conclusions.
KeywordsHeuristic optimization Quadratic binary problem Metaheuristics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aringhieri, R., Cordone, R.: Better and faster solutions for the maximum diversity problem. Technical report, Université degli Studi di Milano, Polo Didattico e di Ricerca di Crema (2006) Google Scholar
- Cappanera, P.: A survey on obnoxious facility location problems. Technical Report TR-99-11, Dipartimento di Elettronica ed Informazione, Politecnico di Milano, 19 (1999) Google Scholar
- Han, J., Kamber, M.: Data Mining: Concepts and Techniques. Morgan Kaufmann, San Mateo (2000) Google Scholar
- Hansen, P., Mladenovic, N.: Handbook of Metaheuristics. Springer, Berlin (2003). Chap. Variable neighborhood search, pp. 145–184 Google Scholar
- McConnell, S.: The new battle over immigration. Fortune 117(10), 89–102 (1988) Google Scholar
- Moscato, P.: Memetic algorithms: A short introduction. In: Corne, D., Dorigo, M., Glover, F. (eds.) New Ideas in Optimization, pp. 219–234. McGraw-Hill, Maidenhead (1999) Google Scholar
- Porter, W.M., Rawal, K.M., Rachie, K.O., Wien, H.C., Williams, R.C.: Cowpea germplasm catalog No 1. International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, Ibadan, Nigeria (1975) Google Scholar
- Santos, L.F., Ribeiro, M.H., Plastino, A., Martins, S.L.: A hybrid grasp with data mining for the maximum diversity problem. In: Blesa, M.J., Blum, C., Roli, A., Sampels, M. (eds.) Hybrid Metaheuristics. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 3636, pp. 116–127. Springer, Berlin (2005) CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Swierenga, R.P.: Ethnicity in historical perspective. Soc. Sci. 52(1), 31–44 (1977) Google Scholar