GRASP and path relinking hybridizations for the point matching-based image registration problem
In the last decade, image registration has proven to be a very active research area when tackling computer vision problems, especially in medical applications. In general, image registration methods aim to find a transformation between two images taken under different conditions. Point matching is an image registration approach based on searching for the right pairing of points between the two images, which involves a combinatorial optimization problem. From this matching, the registration transformation can be inferred by means of numerical methods.
In this paper, we tackle the medical image registration problem by means of a recent hybrid metaheuristic composed of two well-known optimization methods: GRASP and path relinking. Several designs based on this new hybrid approach have been tested. Our experimentation with real-world problems shows the combination of GRASP and evolutionary path relinking performs well when compared to previous state-of-the-art image registration approaches adopting both the point matching and transformation parameter approaches.
KeywordsMetaheuristics GRASP Path relinking Scatter search Computer vision Medical image registration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Andrade, D.V., Resende, M.G.C.: Grasp with evolutionary path-relinking. In: 7th Metaheuristics International Conference (MIC 2007) (2007) Google Scholar
- Goshtasby, A.: 2D and 3D Image Registration. Wiley Interscience, New York (2005) Google Scholar
- Luck, J.P., Little, C.Q., Hoff, W.: Registration of range data using a hybrid simulated annealing and iterative closest point algorithm. In: IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA’00), pp. 3739–3744 (2000) Google Scholar
- Monga, O., Benayoun, S., Faugeras, O.: From partial derivatives of 3-D density images to ridges lines. In: Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, IEEE, Champaign, Illinois, USA, pp. 354–389 (1992) Google Scholar
- Resende, M.G.C., Ribeiro, C.C.: Greedy randomized adaptive search procedures. In: Glover, F., Kochenberger, G. (eds.) Handbook of Metaheuristics, pp. 219–249. Kluwer Academic, Dordrecht (2003) Google Scholar
- Wang, F.: An efficient coordinate frame calibration method for 3-D measurement by multiple camera systems. IEEE Trans. Syst. Man Cybern. 35(3), 453–464 (2005) Google Scholar