Local search for a multi-drop multi-container loading problem
- 552 Downloads
We consider a complex variant of the Container Loading Problem arising from a real-world industrial application. It includes several features such as multiple containers, box rotation, and bearable weight, which are of importance in many practical situations. In addition, it also considers the situation in which boxes have to be delivered to different destinations (multi-drop).
Our solution technique is based on local search metaheuristics. Local search works on the space of sequences of boxes to be loaded, while the actual load is obtained by invoking, at each iteration, a specialized procedure called loader. The loader inserts the boxes in the container using a deterministic heuristic which produces a load that is feasible according to the constraints.
We test our solver on real-world instances provided by our industrial partner, showing a clear improvement on the previous heuristic solution. In addition, we compare our solver on benchmarks from the literature on the basic container loading problems. The outcome is that the results are in some cases in-line with the best ones in the literature and for other cases they also improve upon the best known ones. All instances and solutions are made available on the web for future comparisons.
KeywordsContainer loading 3D packing Heuristics Simulated annealing Tabu search
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aarts, E.H., Korst, J., van Laarhoven, P.J.: Simulated annealing. In: Aarts, E.H., Lenstra, J.K. (eds.) Local Search in Combinatorial Optimization. Wiley, Chichester (1997) Google Scholar
- Bortfeldt, A., Homberger, J.: Packing first, routing second—a heuristic for the vehicle routing and loading problem. In: Bortfeldt, A., Homberger, J., Kopfer, H., Pankratz, G., Strangmeier, R. (eds.) Intelligent Decision Support—Current Challenges and Approaches, Intelligente Entscheidungsunterstützung—Aktuelle Herausforderungen und LösungsansätzeIntelligent Decision Support, pp. 91–113. Deutscher Universitäts-Verlag, Wiesbaden (2008). In German CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Davies, A.: Approaches to the container loading problem. PhD thesis, University of Wales, Swansea (2000) Google Scholar
- Pisinger, D.: A tree search heuristic for the container loading problem. Ric. Oper. 28, 31–48 (1998) Google Scholar
- Tarantilis, C., Zachariadis, E.E., Kiranoudis, C.T.: A hybrid metaheuristic algorithm for the integrated vehicle routing and three-dimensional container-loading problem. IEEE Trans. Intell. Trasp. Syst. 10(2), 1524–9050 (2009) Google Scholar