The single vehicle pickup and delivery problem with time windows: intelligent operators for heuristic and metaheuristic algorithms
- 383 Downloads
The single vehicle pickup and delivery problem with time windows is an important practical problem, yet only a few researchers have tackled it. In this research, we compare three different approaches to the problem: a genetic algorithm, a simulated annealing approach, and a hill climbing algorithm. In all cases, we adopt a solution representation that depends on a duplicate code for both the pickup request and its delivery. We also present an intelligent neighborhood move, that is guided by the time window, aiming to overcome the difficult problem constraints efficiently. Results presented herein improve upon those that have been previously published.
KeywordsPickup and delivery problem with time windows Dial-a-ride Vehicle routing Genetic algorithms Simulated annealing Hill climbing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Blanton, J., Wainwright, R.: Multiple vehicle routing with time and capacity constraints using genetic algorithms. In: Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Genetic Algorithms, pp. 452–459, San Francisco, CA, USA. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers Inc. (1993) Google Scholar
- Desrosiers, J., Dumas, Y., Soumis, F.: A dynamic programming solution of the large-scale single vehicle dial-a-ride problem with time windows. Am. J. Math. Manag. Sci. 6, 3–4 (1986) Google Scholar
- Dorband, J., Mumford, C., Wang, P.: Developing an ace solution for two-dimensional strip packing. In: 18th International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium Workshop on Massively Parallel Processing, Santa Fe, New Mexico (2004) Google Scholar
- Hosny, M.I., Mumford, C.L.: Single vehicle pickup and delivery with time windows: made to measure genetic encoding and operators. In: GECCO ’07: Proceedings of the 2007 GECCO conference companion on Genetic and evolutionary computation, pp. 2489–2496, New York, NY, USA. ACM Press (2007) Google Scholar
- Jih, W., Hsu, Y.: Dynamic vehicle routing using hybrid genetic algorithms. In: Proceedings of the 1999 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, vol. 1, pp. 453–458, Detroit, Michigan (1999) Google Scholar
- Jih, W., Hsu, Y.: A family competition genetic algorithm for the pickup and delivery problems with time window. Bull. Coll. Eng. N.T.U. 90, 89–98 (2004) Google Scholar
- Lau, H., Liang, Z.: Pickup and delivery with time windows: algorithms and test case generation. In: Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Tools with Artificial Intelligence, pp. 333–340 (2001) Google Scholar
- Li, H., Lim, A.: A metaheuristic for the pickup and delivery problem with time windows. In: Proceedings of the 13th IEEE International Conference on Tools with Artificial Intelligence, pp. 160–167, Dallas, TX, USA (2001) Google Scholar
- Tam, V., Tseng, L.C.: Effective heuristics to solve pickup and delivery problems with time windows. In: Proceedings of the 15th IEEE International Conference on Tools with Artificial Intelligence, pp. 184–188 (2003) Google Scholar
- Transport-Statistics: Road freight statistics 2005. A national statistics publication produced for the department of transport, UK (2006). www.dft.gov.uk/transtat
- Wall, M.: Galib: A C++ library of genetic algorithm components. Mechanical Engineering Department, MIT (1996). http://lancet.mit.edu/ga