Pivot, Cut, and Dive: a heuristic for 0-1 mixed integer programming
This paper describes a heuristic for 0-1 mixed-integer linear programming problems, focusing on “stand-alone” implementation. Our approach is built around concave “merit functions” measuring solution integrality, and consists of four layers: gradient-based pivoting, probing pivoting, convexity/intersection cutting, and diving on blocks of variables. The concavity of the merit function plays an important role in the first and third layers, as well as in connecting the four layers. We present both the mathematical and software details of a test implementation, along with computational results for several variants.
KeywordsInteger programming Simplex pivot Convexity cut
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anbil, R., Barahona, F., Rushmeier, R., Snowdon, J.: IBM makes advances in airline optimization. Research Report RC21465(96887), IBM T.J. Watson Research Center, Yorktown Heights, NY (1999) Google Scholar
- Bali, S., Jacobsen, S.E.: On the convergence of the modified Tui algorithm for minimizing a concave function on a bounded convex polyhedron. In: Optimization Techniques. Proc. 8th IFIP Conf., Würzburg, 1977, Part 2. Lecture Notes in Control and Information Science, vol. 7, pp. 59–66. Springer, Berlin (1978) CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bixby, R.E., Ceria, S., McZeal, C.M., Savelsberg, M.W.P.: An updated mixed integer programming library: MIPLIB 3.0. Technical Report 98-3, Department of Computational and Applied Mathematics, Rice University (1998) Google Scholar
- Eckstein, J., Phillips, C.A., Hart, W.E.: PICO: an object-oriented framework for parallel branch and bound. In: Inherently Parallel Algorithms in Feasibility and Optimization and Their Applications, Haifa, 2000, pp. 219–265. North-Holland, Amsterdam (2001) Google Scholar
- Ibaraki, T., Ohashi, T., Mine, H.: A heuristic algorithm for mixed-integer programming problems. Math. Program. Study 2, 115–136 (1974) Google Scholar
- Linderoth, J.T.: Topics in parallel integer optimization. Ph.D. thesis, Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology (1998) Google Scholar
- Ralphs, T.K., Ladányi, L.: SYMPHONY User’s Manual: preliminary draft. http://branchandcut.org/SYMPHONY/man/man.html (2000)
- Tuy, H.: Concave programming under linear constraints. Sov. Math. 5(6), 1437–1440 (1964) Google Scholar