The Eroding Principle of Justice in Teaching Medical Professionalism
This article examines the difficulties encountered in teaching professionalism to medical students in the current social and political climate where economic considerations take top priority in health care decision making. The conflict between the commitment to advocate at all times the interests of one’s patients over one’s own interests is discussed. With personal, institutional, tech industry, pharmaceutical industry, and third-party payer financial imperatives that stand between patients and the delivery of health care, this article investigates how medical ethics instructors are to teach professionalism in a responsible way that does not avoid dealing with the principle of justice.
KeywordsMedical professionalism Social justice Medical students Teaching professionalism
- AAMC. (1998). Report I Learning Objectives for Medical Student Education-Guidelines for Medical Schools. Washington, DC: Association of American Medical Colleges.Google Scholar
- American Board of Internal Medicine. (2008). Project Professionalism, 1999 (revised). In R. L. Cruess, S. R. Cruess, & Y. Steinert (Eds.), Teaching medical professionalism (p. 282). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Angell, M. (2004). The truth about the drug companies: How they deceive us and what to do about it. New York: Random House.Google Scholar
- Associated Press. (2001, April 12). Doctor charged in fraud case. New York Times. Sect C: 16.Google Scholar
- Beauchamp, T. L., & Childress, J. F. (2008). Principles of biomedical ethics (6th ed.). New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Bryan, C. S. (1994). What is the Oslerian tradition? Annals of Internal Medicine, 120(8), 682–687.Google Scholar
- Central Intelligence Agency, “The World Factbook: Country Comparison—Life Expectancy at Birth”. (2012). Accessed August 3, 2012 from https://www.cia.gov/library/publications//the-world-factbook/rankorder/2102rank.html?countryName=Northern%20Mariana%20Islands&countryCode=cq®ionCode=au&rank=65#cq.
- Chen, P. W. (2011, July 28). The hidden costs of medical student debt. New York Times. Accessed February 1, 2012 from http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/28/the-hidden-costs-of-medical-student-debt/.
- Congressional Budget Office. (2008). Technological change and the growth of health care spending. Washington, DC: CBO.Google Scholar
- Coontz, S. (2000). The way we never were: American families and the nostalgia trap. New York: Basic Books.Google Scholar
- Courtwright, D. T. (1982). Dark paradise: Opiate addiction in America before 1940. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Cutler, D. (2005). Your money or your life: Strong medicine for america’s health care system. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Editorial. (2005, December 20). Bayhing for blood or doling out cash? A landmark law has allowed American universities to profit by patenting their innovations but the costs are adding up, The Economist, p. 109.Google Scholar
- Fritsch, J. (2001, October 16). Doctor sentenced for insurance fraud. New York Times, Sect D: 3.Google Scholar
- Goodman, J., McElligot, A., & Marks, L. (Eds.). (2003). Useful bodies: Humans in the service of medical science in the twentieth century. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.Google Scholar
- Kandall, S. R. (1996). Substance and shadow: Women and addiction in the United States. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Kreier, R. (1995, September 11). Anesthesiologists Sue Aetna: Made us skimp quality. AMA News, p. 4.Google Scholar
- Lederer, S. (1995). Subjected to science: Human experimentation in America before the second world war. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.Google Scholar
- Lee, J. (1995, August 22). Doctors Sue HMO; Cite decisions in patient care. USA Today.Google Scholar
- Light, D. W., & Warburton, R. (2011). Demythologizing the high costs of pharmaceutical research. BioSocieties. Accessed January 10, 2012 from http://www.pharmamyths.net/files/Biosocieties_2011_Myths_of_High_Drug_Research_Costs.pdf.
- Loise, V., & Stevens, A. J. (2010). The Bayh-Dole Act turns 30. Science and Translational Medicine, 2(52), cm27.Google Scholar
- Meister, R. (2011). They pledged your tuition: An open letter to UC students. Berkeley, CA: The Council of UC Faculty Associations. Accessed January 5, 2012 from http://www.cucfa.org/news/tuition_bonds.php.
- Norbut, M. (2004). Set a policy about extra exams in a single appointment. American Medical News, 47(48), 23.Google Scholar
- Pub. L. No. 89–329 (1965). The law was reauthorized in 1968, 1971, 1972, 1976, 1980, 1986, 1992, 1998, and 2008.Google Scholar
- Rawls, J. (1971). A theory of justice. Cambridge, MA: Belknap Press of Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Raynor, M. E., & Panetta, J. A. (2005). A better way to R&D? Harvard Business Review, Strategy & Innovation Newsletter, 3(2), 15. Accessed January 19, 2012 from http://blogs.hbr.org/hmu/2008/02/a-better-way-to-rd.html.
- Rosenberg, P. (2011). Pepper spray nation: With most of the UC board of regents being in the 1 %, student demonstrators should expect more police brutality. Al Jazeera English. Accessed December 3, 2011 fromhttp://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2011/11/20111124103714508499.html.
- Schlesinger, M. (2004). The danger of the market panacea. In L. D. Brown, L. Jacobs, & J. Morone (Eds.), Healthy, wealthy and fair: Health care for a good society. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Sharife, K. (2011). The great billion dollar drug scam: A series examining methods used by multinational drug corporations to control markets and lives. Al Jazeera English. Accessed July 18, 2011 from http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2011/06/20116297573191484.html.
- Starr, P. (1984). The social transformation of american medicine: The rise of a sovereign profession and the making of a vast industry. New York: Basic Books.Google Scholar
- United Nations, Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division, World Population Prospects, the 2010 Revision (updated 28 June 2011). Accessed July 24, 2012 from http://esa.un.org/unpd/wpp/Excel-Data/mortality.htm.
- University of California. (2010). University of California Annual Report on Major Capital Improvement Projects Fiscal Year 2008–09. Budget and Capital Resources, University of California Office of the President, p. 3. Accessed January 30, 2012 from http://www.ucop.edu/facil/pd/documents/majorcap0809.pdf.