This paper provides a description of the role of the clinical ethicist as it is generally experienced in Canada. It examines the activities of Canadian ethicists working in healthcare institutions and the way in which their work incorporates more than ethics case consultation. The Canadian Bioethics Society established a “Taskforce on Working Conditions for Bioethics” (hereafter referred to as the Taskforce), to make recommendations on a number of issues affecting ethicists and to develop a model role description. This essay carefully assesses this model role description.
KeywordsBioethics Clinical ethics consultation Clinical ethics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Accreditation Canada. (2009). Required organizational standards. www.accreditation.ca/accreditation-programs/qmentum/required-organizational-practices/. Accessed June 29, 2009 (on-line).
- American Society for Bioethics and Humanities. (1998). Core competencies for health care ethics consultation. Glenwood, IL: ASBH.Google Scholar
- Baylis, F. E. (1994). The profile of the ethics consultant. In F. Baylis (Ed.), The health care ethics consultant. Clifton: Humana Press.Google Scholar
- Bell, J., & Smith, M. (2007). Annotated bibliography on working conditions for bioethicists. Unpublished document created for the Taskforce on Working Conditions for Bioethicists.Google Scholar
- Canadian Bioethics Society. (1999). Annual General Meeting Minutes, Unpublished document.Google Scholar
- Coughlin, M., Connolly, E., Harrison, C., Hirtle, M., Lynch, A., MacDonald, C., et al. (2001). A report from the ad hoc working group on employment standards for bioethics. Canadian Bioethics Society Newsletter, 6(2), 4–8. www.bioethics.ca/aug2001.pdf. Accessed June 29, 2009 (on-line).
- MacDonald, C. (2002). Bibliography: working conditions for bioethics consultation. www.bioethics.ca/bibliography.html. Accessed June 29, 2009 (on-line).
- MacDonald, C. (2003). Draft code of ethics for bioethicists. www.bioethics.ca/draftcode.pdf. Accessed June 29, 2009 (on-line).
- Macdonald, C., Coughlin, M., Harrison, C., Lynch, A., Murphy, P., Rowell, M., et al. (2000). Draft discussion paper: Working conditions for bioethics in Canada. www.bioethics.ca/english/workingconditions/workingconditions.pdf. Accessed June 29, 2009 (on-line).
- Webster, G. C., & Baylis, F. E. (2000). Moral residue. In S. B. Rubin & L. Zoloth (Eds.), Margin of error: The ethics of mistakes in the practice of medicine (pp. 216–230). Hagerstown: University Publishing Group.Google Scholar