Faith, Belief, Fundamental Rights and Delivering Health Care in a Modern NHS: An Unrealistic Aspiration?
- 509 Downloads
This paper considers the way in which English law safeguards fundamental rights to respect for faith and belief in relation to the delivery of health care. It explores the implications of the Human Rights Act 1998 and the Equality Act 2010. It explores some of the challenges in attempting to reconcile fundamental rights to faith and belief and the delivery of health care, both now and in the future and whether this is a realistic aspiration in a state funded health care service.
KeywordsHuman Rights Religion Equality Health care
- 3.Bennett, B. (ed.) (2004). Abortion Dartmouth.Google Scholar
- 4.Bridge. (1999). Religious beliefs and teenage refusal of medical treatment. MLR, 62, 585.Google Scholar
- 5.Department of Health. (2009). Religion and belief. London: DOH.Google Scholar
- 6.Department of Health. (2010). Guidance on uniform and workwear policies for NHS employees. http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/@dh/@en/@ps/documents/digitalasset/dh_114754.pdf. Accessed September 30, 2012.
- 8.Explanatory Notes Equality Act 2010. Accessed September 30, 2012. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/notes/contents.
- 9.Freeman, M (2001) Whose life is it anyway? Medical Law Review 259–265.Google Scholar
- 10.Fresh Guidance on Bare Below the Elbow. (2010). Nursing times 30th March 2010. http://www.nursingtimes.net/whats-new-in-nursing/acute-care/fresh-guidance-on-bare-below-the-elbow/5013040.article.
- 11.General Medical Council. (2008). Personal beliefs and medical practice. London: GMC.Google Scholar
- 12.Hepple, B. (2011). The equality act: The new legal framework. Oxford: Hart Publishing.Google Scholar
- 13.Huxtable, R. (2007). Euthanasia, ethics and law from conflict to compromise. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- 14.Keown, J. (2002). Euthanasia, ethics and public policy: An argument against legalisation. CUP.Google Scholar
- 18.News. (2012). Faith case battle reaches Strasbourg, 8th September 2012. Health Service Journal.Google Scholar
- 19.Royal Pharmaceutical Society. (2010). Guidance on the provision of services affected by religious and moral beliefs. September 2010 http://www.pharmacyregulation.org/pdfs/other/religiousmoralbeliefguidancev13.pdf.
- 20.Savulescu, J. (2006). Conscientious objection in medicine. BMJ 332, 294.Google Scholar
- 21.Sheldon, S. (1997). Beyond control: Medical power and abortion law. London: Pluto Press.Google Scholar