A Sorting Model for Group Decision Making: A Case Study of Water Losses in Brazil
- 593 Downloads
Many water supply systems in Brazil have serious problems related to the high index of water losses, which provokes financial and environmental impacts. This is an immediate consequence of an inadequate maintenance plan, allied to natural and budgetary constraints. In addition, in these types of problems it is commonplace to consider the opinions of many managers, such as those from the operational, environmental and financial sectors of Water Companies. In view of this, a sorting multicriteria model to support group decision making is developed. We proposed an approach which sorts the areas of the system which are located in critical zones of water losses into categories, and which takes into account different points of view and considers uncertainty in criteria weights by using only ordinal information, so as to make it viable to manage the maintenance plan and to use the scant financial resources more efficiently. The SMAA-TRI method is used to tackle the group sorting problematic by categorizing the network into zones where losses are intense and thus to focus the managers’ effort on the most critical regions. A case study in Brazil is presented to demonstrate the efficiency of the approach proposed.
KeywordsGroup decision Sorting problem Multiple criteria decision analysis SMAA-TRI
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bregar A, Gyorkos J, Rozman I (2003) An alternative sorting procedure for interactive group decision support based on the pseudo-criterion concept. J Syst Cybern Inf 1(4): 66–71Google Scholar
- Conejo JGL, Lopes ARG, Marcka E (1999) Panorama dos Sistemas Públicos de Abastecimento no País. Casos selecionados de estratégias de combate ao desperdício. PNCDA—Programa Nacional de Combate ao Desperdício de Água, DTA—Documento técnicos de Apoio C2, BrasíliaGoogle Scholar
- Hunaidi O, Chu W, Wang A, Guan W (2000) Detecting leaks in plastic pipes. J Am Water Works Assoc 92(2): 82–94Google Scholar
- Lambert V, Hirner W (2002) Losses from water supply systems: standard terminology and recommended performance measures. Voda i sanitarna tehnika 32: 29–38Google Scholar
- MacKenzie R, Seago C (2005) Assessment of real losses in potable water distribution systems: some recent developments. Water Sci Technol Water Supply 5(1): 33–40Google Scholar
- Morais DC, Almeida AT (2006) Water supply system decision making using multicriteria analysis. Water SA 32(2): 229–235Google Scholar
- Morais DC, Cavalcante CAV, Almeida AT (2010) Prioritization of areas of loss control in water distribution networks. Pesquisa Operacional 30(1): 15–32Google Scholar
- Nemery P (2008) Extensions of the FlowSort sorting method for group decision-making. In: 19th International conference on multiple criteria decision making (MCDM 2008), AucklandGoogle Scholar
- Tervonen T, Lahdelma R, Almeida Dias J, Figueira J, Salminen P (2007) SMAA-TRI: a parameter stability analysis method for ELECTRE-TRI. In: Linkov I, Kiker GA, Wenning RJ (eds) Environmental security in harbors and coastal areas. NATO Science for Peace and Security Series C: Environmental Security 2007Google Scholar
- Walski T, Bezts W, Posluszny ET, Weir M, Whitman BE (2006) Modeling leakage reduction through pressure control. J Am Water Works Assoc 98(4): 147–155Google Scholar
- Yu W (1992) ELECTRE-TRI—aspects methodologiques et guide d’utilisation. Document du Lamsade 74Google Scholar