Investigation of intergeneric crossability of Vicia faba L. and Thermopsis turcica Kit Tan, Vural et Küçüködük
- 154 Downloads
An unilocular ovary is often observed in the Fabaceae family. Thermopsis turcica Kit Tan, Vural et Küçüködük is an endemic, rare plant species in Turkey that is distinguished by its multi-carpellary apocarpous ovaries. No research has been conducted on the crossing of T. turcica with other species to date. Vicia faba L. (fababean) (2n = 12), which is one of the oldest crops used for human and animal consumption, and Thermopsis turcica (2n = 18) were selected to explore the possibility of increasing yield in edible crops by intergeneric crossing. When T. turcica was used as a male parent, pollen germination and pollen tube growth appeared to be normal and globular embryo formation was observed, but hybrid seeds aborted due to post-fertilization barriers. In contrast, in all crosses in which T. turcica was used as a maternal parent, an embryo was not obtained, and viability of the pistil did not exceed 10 days after pollination. Also, in the samples left to free pollination, pistils died in a few days after anthers were removed just before pre-anthesis. Inability to obtain viable seeds by hybridization of Vicia faba and T. turcica should not be considered as a demonstration of complete incompatibility of the species in intergeneric crosses. The present report constitutes the first study on this issue.
KeywordsEmbryo Intergeneric hybridization Pollen Thermopsis turcica Vicia faba
Day after pollination
Nezahat Gökyiğit Botanical Garden
- P. polyanthus
- T. turcica
- V. faba
The authors are grateful to the Nezahat Gokyigit Botanical Garden for providing the germplasm and research area used in the study. We acknowledge Dr. Stuart James Lucas for constructively reviewing the manuscript.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Eti S (1987) Über das Pollenschlauchwachstum und die Entwicklung der Samenanlagen in Beziehung zum Fruchtansatz und zur Fruchtqualiät bei der Mandarinensorte Clementine (Citrus reticulata Blanco). Dissertation, Hohenheim UniversityGoogle Scholar
- Muehlbauer F, Tullu A (1997) Vicia faba L. https://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/CropFactSheets/fababean.html. Accessed 22 Jun 2015
- Naik SV (1993) Interspecific hybridization and characterization of hybrids in genus Cicer L. Dissertation, Indira Gandhi Krishi Vishwa VidyalayaGoogle Scholar
- Tan K, Vural M, Küçüködük M (1983) An unusual new Thermopsis from Turkey. Notes RBG Edinb 40:515–518Google Scholar
- Tekdal D, Cetiner S (2014) The determination of self-compatibility status of Thermopsis turcica through histological analysis. J Appl Biol Sci 8:64–67Google Scholar
- Thorpe TA, Yeung E (2011) Plant Embryo Culture: Methods and Protocols. Humana PressGoogle Scholar
- Toussaint A, Geerts P, Clement F, Mergeai G, Baudoin J (2004) Early abortion in reciprocal crosses between Phaseolus vulgaris and Phaseolus polyanthus, and in vitro culture of immature embryos from these species. Belg J Bot 137:47–54Google Scholar
- Vural M (2009) Piyan (Thermopsis turcica). Bağbahçe 25:14–16Google Scholar