Collection and Characterisation of Malabar Tamarind [Garcinia cambogia (Gaertn.) Desr.]
- 375 Downloads
A collaborative crop specific exploration and collection mission to collect the germplasm and to study the population size of male and female/hermaphrodite trees of Malabar tamarind [Garcinia cambogia (Gaertn.) Desr.] in the area of its diversity was undertaken during July 2002 in Kerala and Karnataka. A total of 56 accessions of Malabar tamarind were collected. Two collections of Malabar tamarind were found to be very specific because of the uncommon fruit colour, which is pinkish red. All the collected accessions are grown at National Bureau of Plant Genetic Resources (NBPGR) Regional Station, Thrissur for characterisation and conservation. Extensive range of variability was found in fruit colour, shape, size and nature of branching and canopy of trees. Characterisation of 13 fruit and five seed characters was done for 51 accessions. The variability was found to be maximum for nipple length (74.8%) and minimum for fruit girth (12.8%). Two promising accessions were identified based on mean fruit weight (161 g) in IC 354028 and mean rind thickness (15 mm) and mean rind weight (125 g) in IC 354019.
KeywordsExploration Fat Garcinia cambogia Malabar tamarind Variability
Gandhi Krishi Vignyan Kendra
National Bureau of Plant Genetic Resources
University of Agricultural Sciences
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Husain, Akhtar, Virmani, O.P., Popli, S.P., Misra, L.N., Gupta, M.M., Srivastava, G.N., Abraham, Z., Singh, A.K. 1992Dictionary of Indian Medicinal PlantsCentral Institute of Medicinal and Aromatic PlantsLucknow218Google Scholar
- Hammer, K. 2001Guttiferae (Clusiaceae)Hanelt, P. eds. Institute of Plant Genetics and Crop Plant Research. Mansfeld’s Encyclopedia of Agricultural and Horticultural CropsSpringerBerlin73457360Google Scholar
- Lewis, Y.S., Neelakandan, S. 1965(−) Hydroxy citric acid – the principal acid in the fruits of Garcinia cambogiaPhytochemistry4619Google Scholar
- Mahendran, P., Sabitha, K.E., Devi, C.S. 2002aPrevention of HCL-ethanol induced gastro mucosal injury in rats by Garcinia cambogia extract and its possible mechanism of actionIndian J. Exp. Biol.405862Google Scholar
- Muthulakshmi, M., Sarah, T. George, Lila Mathew, K. 1999Morphological and biochemical variations in different sex forms of kodampuli (Garcinia gummi-gutta L.)J. Trop. Agr.372831Google Scholar
- Singh, N.P. 1993ClusiaceaeSharma, B.D.Sanjappa, M.Balakrishnan, N.P. eds. Flora of IndiaBotanical Survey of IndiaCalcutta86151Google Scholar
- Sullivan, A.C., Hamiltan, J.G., Miller, O.N., Wheahkey, V.R. 1972Inhibition of lipogenesis in rat liver by (−) hydroxy citrateArch. Biophys.150183190Google Scholar
- Sullivan, A.C., Triscari, J., Hamiltan, J.G., Miller, O.N. 1974Effect of (−) hydroxy citrate upon the accumulation of lipid in the ratAppetite Lipids9129234Google Scholar