Anisotropic conformal infinity
- 320 Downloads
We generalize Penrose’s notion of conformal infinity of spacetime, to situations with anisotropic scaling. This is relevant not only for Lifshitz-type anisotropic gravity models, but also in standard general relativity and string theory, for spacetimes exhibiting a natural asymptotic anisotropy. Examples include the Lifshitz and Schrödinger spaces (proposed as AdS/CFT duals of nonrelativistic field theories), warped AdS 3, and the near-horizon extreme Kerr geometry. The anisotropic conformal boundary appears crucial for resolving puzzles of holographic renormalization in such spacetimes.
KeywordsAdS/CFT correspondence Holography for nonrelativistic field theories Lifshitz and Schrödinger spacetimes Conformal infinity of spacetime Anisotropic scaling
We wish to thank Stéphane Detournay for useful discussions. The results presented in this paper were announced by one of us (PH) at Strings 2009 in Rome (June 2009), and at the Quantum Criticality and AdS/CFT Correspondence Miniprogram at KITP, Santa Barbara (July 2009); PH wishes to thank the orgainzers for their hospitality. This work has been supported by NSF Grants PHY-0555662 and PHY-0855653, DOE Grant DE-AC02-05CH11231, and by the Berkeley Center for Theoretical Physics.
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial License which permits any noncommercial use, distribution,and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and source are credited.
- 9.Hořava, P., Melby-Thompson, C.M.: Anisotropic conformal infinity and the global structure of Schrödinger spaces (to appear)Google Scholar
- 12.Alishahiha, M., Fareghbal, R., Mosaffa, A.E., Rouhani, S.: Asymptotic symmetry of geometries with Schrödinger isometry. [arXiv:0902.3916]Google Scholar
- 13.Compère, G., de Buyl, S., Detournay, S., Yoshida, K.: Asymptotic symmetries of Schrödinger spacetimes. [arXiv:0908.1402]Google Scholar
- 14.Blau, M., Hartong, J., Rollier, B.: Geometry of Schrödinger space-times, global coordinates, and harmonic trapping. JHEP 07027 (2009). [ arXiv:0904.3304]Google Scholar
- 17.Guica, M., Hartman, T., Song, W., Strominger, A.: The Kerr/CFT Correspondence. [arXiv:0809.4266]Google Scholar
- 18.Compère, G., Detournay, S.: Boundary conditions for spacelike and timelike warped AdS 3 spaces in topologically massive gravity. [arXiv:0906.1243]Google Scholar
- 19.Bardeen, J.M., Horowitz, G.T.: The extreme Kerr throat geometry: a vacuum analog of AdS 2 × S 2. Phys. Rev. D60104030 (1999). [hep-th/9905099]Google Scholar