Lie and Noether symmetries of geodesic equations and collineations
- 134 Downloads
The Lie symmetries of the geodesic equations in a Riemannian space are computed in terms of the special projective group and its degenerates (affine vectors, homothetic vector and Killing vectors) of the metric. The Noether symmetries of the same equations are given in terms of the homothetic and the Killing vectors of the metric. It is shown that the geodesic equations in a Riemannian space admit three linear first integrals and two quadratic first integrals. We apply the results in the case of Einstein spaces, the Schwarzschild spacetime and the Friedman Robertson Walker spacetime. In each case the Lie and the Noether symmetries are computed explicitly together with the corresponding linear and quadratic first integrals.
KeywordsGeodesics General relativity Classical mechanics Collineations Lie symmetries Projective collineations Noether symmetries First integrals
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Katzin G.H., Levine J.: Colloquium Mathematicum, pp. 21. Wrocław, Poland (1972)Google Scholar
- 6.Aminova A.V.: Izv. - Vyssh. - Uchebn. - Zaved. - Mat. 2, 3 (1994)Google Scholar
- 8.Aminova, A.V.: Tensor, N.S. 65 (2000)Google Scholar
- 13.Yano K.: The theory of Lie derivatives and its Applications. North Holland, Amsterdam (1956)Google Scholar
- 14.Scouten K.J.A.: Ricci Calculus. Springer, Berlin (1954)Google Scholar
- 15.Stephani H.: Differential Equations: Their Solutions Using Symmetry. Cambridge University Press, New York (1989)Google Scholar