Coarse median structures and homomorphisms from Kazhdan groups
- 176 Downloads
We study Bowditch’s notion of a coarse median on a metric space and formally introduce the concept of a coarse median structure as an equivalence class of coarse medians up to closeness. We show that a group which possesses a uniformly left-invariant coarse median structure admits only finitely many conjugacy classes of homomorphisms from a given group with Kazhdan’s property (T). This is a common generalization of a theorem due to Paulin about the outer automorphism group of a hyperbolic group with property (T) as well as of a result of Behrstock–Druţu–Sapir on the mapping class groups of orientable surfaces. We discuss a metric approximation property of finite subsets in coarse median spaces extending the classical result on approximation of Gromov hyperbolic spaces by trees.
KeywordsCoarse median spaces Property (T) Outer automorphism group
Mathematics Subject Classification (2010)20F65
The author would like to express his gratitude towards his Master thesis advisor, Goulnara Arzhantseva, for introducing him to this subject, sharing her knowledge, many helpful suggestions, and most of all, for encouraging him to write this paper. He wishes to thank Frédéric Paulin for giving an enlightening mini-course at the second Young Geometric Group Theory Meeting which stimulated the author’s work towards a generalization of the result concerning outer automorphisms of hyperbolic groups with Kazhdan’s property (T). The author also thanks Bogdan Nica and the anonymous referee for useful comments on the manuscript.
- 6.Bowditch, B.H.: Embedding median algebras in products of trees. Geom. Dedic. (2014). doi: 10.1007/s10711-013-9874-x
- 8.Bowditch, B.H.: Notes on Gromov’s hyperbolicity criterion for path-metric spaces. In: Ghys, É., Haefliger, A., Verjovsky, A. (eds.) Group Theory from a Geometrical Viewpoint, pp. 64–167. World Science Publications, Singapore (1991)Google Scholar
- 9.Bowditch, B.H.: Some properties of median metric spaces. Groups Geom. Dyn. (2015, to appear). http://homepages.warwick.ac.uk/~masgak/preprints.html
- 12.Chatterji, I., Drutu, C., Haglund, F.: Median spaces and spaces with measured walls (2007). http://infoscience.epfl.ch/record/126268
- 15.Gromov, M.: Hyperbolic groups. In: Gersten, S. M. (ed.) Essays in Group Theory, pp. 75–263. Springer, New York (1987)Google Scholar
- 16.Nica, B.: Group Actions on Median Spaces. Master thesis, McGill University (2004)Google Scholar
- 17.Nica, B.: Group actions on median spaces (2008). arXiv: 0809.4099 [math.GR]
- 18.Paulin, F.: Outer automorphisms of hyperbolic groups and small actions on R-trees. In: Alperin, R. C. (ed.) Arboreal Group Theory, pp. 331–343. Springer, New York (1991). doi: 10.1007/978-1-4612-3142-4_12
- 19.Roller, M.: Poc Sets, Median Algebras and Group Actions. An Extended Study of Dunwoody’s Construction and Sageev’s Theorem. Habilitationsschrift, Regensberg (1998)Google Scholar
- 21.Zeidler, R.: Coarse median structures on groups. Masterarbeit. Universität Wien (2013)Google Scholar