Evolutionary design model of passive filter circuit for practical application
- 26 Downloads
Evolutionary circuit design is a promising way to study new circuit design methodologies, and the passive filter is the most basic circuit module widely existing in modern electronic systems. Focused on the basic and fatal criterion related to the filter circuit design, this paper presents a novel evolutionary design model of passive filter circuit. The proposed model includes a circuit representation method for passive filter circuit design based on circuit cells and the corresponding real encoding scheme, a fast fitness calculation method avoiding expensive SPICE simulations, and a simple and effective cell-based differential evolution algorithm. Experimental results show that the proposed model can quickly obtain filter circuits for challenging specifications. Under harsh design criteria, the design performance of the proposed model is not inferior to that of some advanced professional design techniques based on traditional design ideas.
KeywordsEvolutionary circuit design Analog circuit synthesis Differential evolution Neighborhood model
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China through Grant No. 61273315. The authors thank the anonymous reviewers for their comments, which have helped to improve the quality of this paper.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.J.R. Koza, F.H. Bennett III, D. Andre et al., Automated WYWIWYG design of both the topology and component values of analog electrical circuits using genetic programming, in The First Annual Conference on Genetic Programming, Stanford University, CA, USA, 1996, ed. by J.R. Koza (MIT Press, Massachusetts, 1996), pp. 123–131Google Scholar
- 3.J.B. Grimbleby, Automatic analogue network synthesis using genetic algorithms, in The First Conference on Genetic Algorithms in Engineering Systems: Innovations and Applications, Sheffield, UK (1995), pp. 53–58Google Scholar
- 7.A.J. Hirst, Notes on the evolution of adaptive hardware, in Proceeding of Second International Conference on Adaptive Computing in Engineering Design and Control, ed. by I. Parmee (University of Plymouth Press, Plymouth, 1996), pp. 212–219Google Scholar
- 10.J. He, X. Wang, M. Zhang et al., New research on scalability of lossless image compression by GP engine, in Proceedings—NASA/DoD Conference on Evolvable Hardware, vol. 2005 (2005), pp. 160–164Google Scholar
- 14.X. Zhang, P. Xia, J. He, Distributed computation framework for circuit evolutionary design under CS network architecture, in 18th IEEE International Conference on Communication Technology Proceedings, Chongqing, China (2018), pp. 232–236Google Scholar
- 16.M. Sikulova, G. Komjathy, L. Sekanina, Towards compositional coevolution in evolutionary circuit design, in 2014 IEEE International Conference on Evolvable Systems (2014), pp. 157–164Google Scholar
- 19.I. Canturk, N. Kahraman, Comparative analog circuit design automation based on multi-objective evolutionary algorithms: an application on CMOS opamp, in 38th International Conference on Telecommunications and Signal Processing (2015)Google Scholar
- 21.B.N. Thakkar, V.H. Nayak, Automatic design of low power CMOS buffer-chain circuit using differential evolutionary algorithm and particle swarm optimization, in 2017 International Conference on Algorithms, Methodology, Models and Applications in Emerging Technologies (2017), pp. 1–5Google Scholar
- 24.C. Goh, Y. Li, GA automated design and synthesis of analog circuits with practical constraints, in 2001 IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation, vol. 1 (2001), pp. 170–177Google Scholar
- 25.A. Das, R. Vemuri, GAPSYS: a GA-based tool for automated passive analog circuit synthesis, in IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, 2007. ISCAS 2007 (2007), pp. 2702–2705Google Scholar
- 26.Y. Sapargaliyev, T. Kalganova, Constrained and unconstrained evolution of “lcr” low-pass filters with oscillating length representation, in IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation, 2006. CEC 2006 (2006), pp. 1529–1536Google Scholar
- 30.O. Verducci Jr, P.C. Crepaldi, L.B. Zoccal, T.C. Pimenta, Synthesis of passive filter using object oriented genetic algorithm, in 2014 26th International Conference on Microelectronics (ICM). IEEE (2014), pp. 72–75Google Scholar
- 31.O.J. Ushie, M.F. Abbod, J.C. Ogbulezie, The use of genetic programming to evolve passive filter circuits. Int. J. Eng. Technol. Innov. 7(4), 255–268 (2017)Google Scholar
- 32.M.D. Lutovac, D.V. Tošić, B.L. Evans, Filter Design for Signal Processing Using MATLAB and Mathematica (Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, 2001)Google Scholar
- 43.G. Roy, H. Lee, J.L. Welch, et al., A distributed pool architecture for genetic algorithms, in IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC) (2009), pp. 1177–1184Google Scholar
- 47.Y. Kumar, G.K. Malik, Performance analysis of different filters for power line interface reduction in ECG signal. Int. J. Comput. Appl. 3(7), 1–6 (2010)Google Scholar