DNA marker analysis for pyramided of Fusarium head blight (FHB) resistance QTLs from different germplasm
- 325 Downloads
A pyramided FHB resistance line of wheat (WSY) was previously developed from three FHB resistant cultivars (Sumai 3, Wangshuibai, and Nobeokabouzu) in the Jiangsu Academy of Agricultural Sciences, China. In the present study, we analyzed the genetic relationship between WSY and the three parental cultivars using DNA markers in order to clarify how many and which resistance genes had accumulated in WSY. We analyzed 282 DNA markers from the 21 wheat chromosomes. WSY was found to include different chromosome regions that harbored putative FHB QTLs of the three parental germplasm. Haplotypes of DNA markers on these QTL regions revealed that the 1BL, 2BL, 5AS, and 7AL QTL regions were from Sumai 3, the 2AS, 2DS, 3AS, and 6BS QTL regions were from Wangshuibai, and the 3BS QTL region was from Nobeokabouzu. This study showed that different resistance genes from the different resistant germplasm had indeed accumulated in WSY. WSY is a potential resistant resource for FHB resistance in wheat breeding programs.
KeywordsTriticum aestivum Fusarium head blight DNA markers
This research was partially funded by the Asia-Biotechnology fellowship program of the Japan International Research Center for Agricultural Sciences (JIRCAS), Japan and the Science foundation (BK2004171) and Talent foundation (2004, type A) projects of Jiangsu province, China.
- Felsenstein J (1995) PHYLIP (Phylogeny inference package) version 3.57c. Univ. Washington Press, SeattleGoogle Scholar
- Gonzalez-Hernandez JL, del Blanco A, Kianian SF, Ali S, Berzonsky WA, Kianian SF (2003) Wangshuibai: a hexaploid wheat resistant to the spread of Fusarium head bright. In: 2003 national Fusarium head bright forum proceedings. Bloomington, Minnesota, USA, December 13–15, pp 14–17Google Scholar
- Liao YC, Yu YJ (1985) Genetic analysis of scab resistance in the local wheat variety Wangshuibai. J Huazhong Agric College 45:6–14 (in Chinese with English abstract)Google Scholar
- Lu WZ, Chen SH, Wang YZ (2001) Research on wheat scab. Science Publication House, Beijing, ChinaGoogle Scholar
- Minch E, Ruiz-Linares A, Goldstein D, Feldman M, Cavalli-Sforza LL (1997) Microsat (version <WHATEVER>): a computer program for calculating various statistics on microsatellite allele data. WWW: http://hpgl.stanford.edu/projects/microsat/Google Scholar
- Najaphy A, Chalmers KJ, Tourchi M, Mohammadi SA, Moghaddam M (2004) Mapping of quantitative trait loci for Fusarium head blight resistance in wheat. In: Proceedings of the 2nd international symposium on Fusarium head blight. Orlando, Florida, USA, December 11–15, pp 133–136Google Scholar
- Schroeder HW, Christensen JJ (1963) Factors affecting resistance of wheat to scab caused by Gibberella zeae. Phytopathology 53:831–838Google Scholar
- Shi JR, Song QJ, Singh S, Lewis J, Ward RW, Cregan P, Gill BS (2003) Genetic and physical maps of Xbarc SSR loci in wheat. In: 2003 national Fusarium head bright forum proceedings. Bloomington, Minnesota, USA, December 13–15, pp 14–17Google Scholar
- Xu DH, Juan HF, Nohda M, Ban T (2001) QTLs Mapping of type I and type II Resistance to FHB in Wheat. In: 2001 national Fusarium head blight forum proceedings. Erlanger, Kentucky, USA, December 8–10, pp 40–42Google Scholar