Brittle crack-arrest fracture toughness in a high heat-input thick steel weld
Brittle crack-arrest fracture toughness (KIa) was determined as a function of the temperature in a large-scale (1 x 1 m) 50-mm thick steel base metal and its high heat-input (32 kJ/mm) weld. An impact initiates crack propagation from a notch at low temperature toward a higher temperature region where the crack stopped due to the improved fracture toughness. The relationship between the toughness and crack-arrest temperature provides the KIa at −10 °C of about 100 MPa√m in the weld specimen, which is a significant decrease compared to that of the base metal (240 MPa√m). Furthermore, the path of the crack propagation was discussed in terms of the grain size, hardness, and Charpy impact energy of the localized crack region.
KeywordsBrittle fracture crack arrest toughness thick steel welds
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Masubuchi K. (1980). Analysis of Welded Structures - Fracture toughness, 1st edn. Pergamon, New York; 336-399.Google Scholar
- Ripling E.J., Crosley P.B. (1982). Crack arrest fracture toughness of a structural steel (A36). Welding Research 65s-74s.Google Scholar
- Roberson T.S. (1951) Brittle fracture of mild steel. Engineering 172: 444Google Scholar
- Feely F.J., Hrkto D., Kleppe S.R., Northrup M.S. (1954) Report on brittle fracture studies. Welding Journal 33, 99s-111sGoogle Scholar
- Yoshiki M., Kanazawa T., Itagaki H. (1960). Double tension test with flat temperature gradient. Proceedings 3rd Japan Congress on Testing Materials-Metallic Materials 103-106.Google Scholar
- Sumi Y. (1990) Computational crack path prediction for brittle fracture in wleing residual stress fields. Interational Journal of Fracture 44: 189–207Google Scholar
- Inoue T., Ishikawa T., Imai S., Koseki T., Hirota K., Tada M., Kitada H., Yamaguchi Y., Yajima H. (2007). Long crack arrestability of heavy-thick shipbuilding steels. Proceedings 17th International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference 3322-3326.Google Scholar
- An G.B., Park J.S., Ryu K.M., Yoon Y.C., Kim H.J., Park J.M., Kang K.B. (2009). Brittle crack arrest technique of thick steel plate welds in container ship. Proceedings 19th International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference 357-361.Google Scholar
- International Association of Classification Societies (IACS). (2013). Rule requirements for use of extremely thick steel plates, s33.Google Scholar