Crack nucleation in a peridynamic solid
- 724 Downloads
A condition for the emergence of a discontinuity in an elastic peridynamic body is proposed, resulting in a material stability condition for crack nucleation. The condition is derived by determining whether a small discontinuity in displacement, superposed on a possibly large deformation, grows over time. Stability is shown to be determined by the sign of the eigenvalues of a tensor field that depends only on the linearized material properties. This condition for nucleation of a discontinuity in displacement can be interpreted in terms of the dynamic stability of plane waves with very short wavelength. A numerical example illustrates that cracks in a peridynamic body form spontaneously as the body is loaded.
KeywordsCrack nucleation Material stability Peridynamic Elasticity
Mathematics Subject Classification (2000)74B15
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Agwai A, Guven I, Madenci E (2008) Peridynamic theory for failure prediction in multilayer thin-film structures of electronic packages. In: 2008 electronic components and technology conference. IEEE, pp 1614–1619Google Scholar
- Agwai A, Guven I, Madenci E (2008) Peridynamic theory for impact damage prediction in electronic packages due to drop. In: 2008 electronic components and technology conference. IEEE, pp 1048–1053Google Scholar
- Agwai A, Guven I, Madenci E (2009) Damage prediction for electronic package drop test using finite element and peridynamic theory. In: 2008 electronic components and technology conference. IEEE, pp 565–569Google Scholar
- Askari E, Xu J, Silling S (2006) Peridynamic analysis of damage and failure in composites. In: 44th AIAA aerospace sciences meeting and exhibit, Reno, NV, AIAA2006-88Google Scholar
- Colavito KW, Kilic B, Celik E, Madenci E, Askari E, Silling S (2007) Effect of void content on stiffness and strength of composites by a peridynamic analysis and static indentation test. In: 48th AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC structures, structural dynamics, and materials conference, Honolulu, HI, AIAA2007-2251Google Scholar
- Silling SA (2003) Dynamic fracture modeling with a meshfree peridynamic code. In: Bathe KJ (eds) Computational fluid and solid mechanics. Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp 641–644Google Scholar
- Silling SA (2010) Linearized theory of peridynamic states. J. Elast. doi: 10.1007/s10659-009-9234-0
- Xu J, Askari A, Weckner O, Razi H, Silling S (2007) Damage and failure analysis of composite laminates under biaxial loads. In: 48th AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC structures, structural dynamics, and materials conference, Honolulu, HI, AIAA2007-2315Google Scholar