Crack opening displacements (COD) were obtained on fully developed cracks in compact tension specimens manufactured from a commercial, soft lead zirconate titanate (PZT). The data were evaluated using the weight function method to provide crack closures stresses as a function of distance to the crack tip. As ferroelastic toughening in PZT shows time-dependent effects, data were taken at different stages of unloading. The peak closure stress was determined as 20 MPa.
KeywordsClosure stresses crack opening displacements PZT weight functions
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chen, W., Lupascu, D.C., Rödel, J., Lynch, C.S. 2001Short crack R-curves in ferroelectric and electrostrictive PLZTJournal of the American Ceramic Society84593597Google Scholar
- dos Santos e Lucato, S.L. 2003Crack-growth-velocity-dependent R-Curve behavior in lead zirconate titanateJournal of the American Ceramic Society8610371039Google Scholar
- dos Santos e Lucato, S.L., Lupascu, D.C., Rödel, J. 2000Effect of poling direction on R-Curve behavior in lead zirconate titanateJournal of the American Ceramic Society83424426Google Scholar
- Fett, T., Munz, D. 1997Stress Intensity Factors and Weight FunctionsComputational Mechanics PublicationsSouthamptonGoogle Scholar
- Fett, T., Munz, D., Seidel, J., Stech, M., Rödel, J. 1996Correlation between long and short crack R-curves in alumina using the crack opening displacement and fracture mechanical weight function approachJournal of the American Ceramic Society7911891196Google Scholar
- Fett, T., Munz, D. 2003R-Curve for a lead zirconate titanate ceramic obtained from tensile strength tests with Knoop-damaged specimensJournal of the American Ceramic Society8331993201Google Scholar
- Gröbner, W., Hofreiter, N. 1975Integraltafeln IISpringer VerlagHeidelbergGoogle Scholar
- Kounga, A.B., Fett, T., Lupascu, D.C., Rödel, J. 2003Crack-tip toughness of a soft lead zirconate titanateJournal of the American Ceramic Society8619731975Google Scholar
- Meschke, F., Raddatz, O., Kolleck, A., Schneider, G.A. 2000R-curve behavior and crack-closure stresses in barium titanate and (Mg,Y)-PSZ ceramicsJournal of the American Ceramic Society83353361Google Scholar