In-plane and Out-of-plane Fracture Toughness of Physically Aged Polyesters as Assessed by the Essential Work of Fracture (EWF) Method
- 171 Downloads
The in-plane (mode I) and out-of-plane (mode III) fracture behavior of amorphous (co)polyester sheets are studied as a function of physical aging using the essential work of fracture (EWF) concept. Physical aging was followed by measuring the yield stress and enthalpy relaxation of the (co)polyesters. The specific essential work of fracture term did not reflect the physical aging either in mode I or III loading. On the other hand, the corresponding values were closely matched indicating the mode III type loading turns into mode I for thin films. Aging was best manifested in the mode I – related EWF parameters, viz. specific yielding-related essential work and non-essential necking/tearing related work.
KeywordsAmorphous copolyester essential work of fracture fracture toughness in-plane out-of-plane physical aging
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ching, E.C.Y., Li, R.K.Y., Mai, Y.-W. 2000Effects of gauge length and strain rate on fracture toughness of polyethylene terephthalate glycol (PETG) film using the essential work of fracture (EWF) analysisPolymer Engineering and Science40310319Google Scholar
- Hashemi, S. 1993Ductile Fracture of polyester filmsPlastics, Rubber and Composites Processing and Applications2020 229237Google Scholar
- Karger-Kocsis, J. 2000Microstructural and molecular dependence of the work of fracture parameters in semicrystalline and amorphous polymer systemsWilliams, J.G.Pavan, A. eds. Fracture of Polymers, Composites and AdhesivesESIS Publ. Elsevier Sci.Oxford213230Google Scholar
- Karger-Kocsis, J. 2002Fracture and fatigue behavior of amorphous (co)polyesters as a function of molecular and network variablesFakirov, S. eds. Handbook of Thermoplastic PolyestersWeinheimWiley-VCH717753Google Scholar
- Karger-Kocsis, J., Bárány, T. 2002Plane-stress fracture behaviour of syndiotactic polypropylenes of various crystallinity as assessed by the essential work of fracturePolymer Engineering and Science4214101419Google Scholar
- Karger-Kocsis, J., Moskala, E.J. 2002Toughness response of amorphous (co)polyesters using the essential work of fracture approachSPE-ANTEC6017511755Google Scholar
- Kim, H.S., Karger-Kocsis, J. 2004Tearing resistance of some co-polyester sheetsActa Materialia5231233133Google Scholar
- Liu, C.-H., Nairn, J.A. 1998Using the essential work of fracture method for studying physical aging in thin, ductile, polymeric filmsPolymer Engineering and Science38186193Google Scholar
- Mai, Y.-W., Cotterell, B. 1986On the essential work of ductile fracture in polymers. International Journal of Fracture32105125Google Scholar