New fuzzy models for time-cost trade-off problem
- 279 Downloads
The time-cost trade-off problem is a specific type of the project scheduling problem which studies how to modify project activities so as to achieve the trade-off between the completion time and the project cost. In real projects, the trade-off between the project cost and the completion time, and the uncertainty of the environment are both considerable aspects for managers. In this paper, three new fuzzy time-cost trade-off models are proposed, in which credibility theory is applied to describe the uncertainty of activity duration times. A searching method by integrating fuzzy simulation and genetic algorithm is produced to search the quasi-optimal schedules under some decision-making criteria. The purpose of the paper is to reveal how to obtain the optimal balance of the completion time and the project cost in fuzzy environments.
KeywordsTime-cost trade-off Credibility theory Fuzzy simulation Genetic algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Butcher W. S. (1967) Dynamic programming for project cost-time curve. Journal of Construction Division 93(C01): 59–73Google Scholar
- Charnes A., Cooper W. W. (1962) A network interpretation and a direct sub-dual algorithm for critical path scheduling. Journal of Industrial Engineering 13: 213–219Google Scholar
- Feng C. W., Liu L., Burns S. A. (1997) Using genetic algorithms to solve construction time-cost trade-off problems. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management 11(3): 184–189Google Scholar
- Ghazanfari M., Shahanaghi K., Yousefli A. (2008) An application of possibility goal programming to the time-cost trade off problem. Journal of Uncertain Systems 2(1): 22–28Google Scholar
- Goldratt E. (1997) Critical chain. The North River Press, Great Barrington, MAGoogle Scholar
- Hapke M., Slowinski R. (1993) A DSS for resource-constrained project scheduling under uncertainty. Journal of Decision Systems 2(2): 111–128Google Scholar
- Hapke M., Slowinski R. (2000) Fuzzy set approach to multi-objective and multi-mode project scheduling under uncertainty. In: Hapke M., Slowinski R. (eds) Scheduling under fuzziness. Physica-Verlag, Heidelberg, pp 197–221Google Scholar