Beyond Politization of Technology and Sustainability: A Plea for Visioning
Most protagonists of sustainable development ignore modern insights in the nature of technology, which has led to an emphasis on technological solutions. The notable exception is transition management. However, both social construction of technology and transition management have been criticized as ignoring distributions of power in society, and for not offering guidance in the choice of the most sustainable technologies. The reviewer criticizes this approach: the issue is not to choose the right technologies, but to address the root causes of unsustainability in society. In addition to politization of transition management the reviewer argues that strong visions are necessary to lead the way. Technologies could help to develop those visions.
KeywordsSustainability Visioning Politization Social constructivism Instrumentalism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ehrenfeld J. (2008) Sustainability by design. Yale University Press, New HavenGoogle Scholar
- Quist, J. (2007). Backcasting for a sustainable future: The impact after 10 years, Ph.D. thesis, Delft University of Technology.Google Scholar
- Speth J. G. (2008) The bridge at the edge of the World: Capitalism, the environment, and crossing from crisis to sustainability. Yale University Press, New HavenGoogle Scholar
- Vergragt P. (2009) CCS in the Netherlands: Glass half empty or half full?. In: Meadowcroft J., Langhelle O. (eds) Caching the carbon; the politics and policy of carbon capture and storage, chapter 8. Edward Elgar Publishing, Cheltenham, pp 186–210Google Scholar
- Vergragt, P. J., Markusson, N., & Karlsson, H. (2011). Carbon capture and storage, bio-energy with carbon capture and storage, and the escape from the fossil-fuel lock-in. Global Environmental Change, 21(2), 282–292.Google Scholar
- Weaver, P., Jansen, L., van Grootveld, G., van Spiegel, E., & Vergragt, P. (2000). Sustainable technology development. Greenleaf Publishing, ISBN 1-874719-09-8.Google Scholar